Problem with word plugin

Dear staff
I have installed zotero 5.0 to run on windows. When I start the software, only a black screen appears; When I start it under a safe mode (desactivating word plugin), it works, but then I cannot use the word plugin to manage my references in word.... any clue as to what I should do to fix this??
Thanks for your help
Muriel
  • When you say the window is black, are you talking about starting Zotero or Word?
  • Hi
    Zotero is black. For info, I have installed it on my laptop which runs office 2013 and it runs perfectly, but on my desktop which runs office 2010, the problem is still there. Does this help?
  • What operating system are you running on the computer where Zotero is black?
  • I am not sure I understand your question but I guess the answer is Windows 7
  • How are you running Zotero in safe mode? Do you get any graphical issues with other software?
  • I actually open Zotero while pressing the maj tab, which disables any extension or plugin of the software.
    No other issues with my computer.
  • edited September 13, 2018
    I am not sure what you are describing here. Pressing the [TAB] key definitely does not open Zotero (or any software) in a safe mode. Could you be more specific about how you launch Zotero in safe mode?

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers, since this seems to be a rendering issue?

Edit:
    So Zotero safe mode is not actually documented and I didn't realise it carried over from the Mozilla based platform that Zotero is built on. Either way, for Firefox this would usually mean issues with hardware accelerated rendering, so checking for graphic driver updates is a worth a shot. Otherwise, you would need to disable hardware acceleration in Zotero, which you can do in Zotero Preferences -> Advanced -> Config Editor, search for "media.windows-media-foundation.allow-d3d11-dxva" and set it to "false".
  • Ok so I tried updating the graphic driver. Didn't change anything. I did disable hardware acceleration in Zotero as advised, didn't change anything.
    I will install office 2013 on my computer and see if that improves things.