zotero word

my word does not register any zotero plugin although the plugin is enabled and despite installing the plugin manually using zotero.dotm file which doesnt work. please help. i cannot cite any file at the moment
  • What version of Word? Zotero? What operating system?

"Doesn't work" Please further explain. Do you see the Zotero toolbar? See it but buttons do not work when clicked? Etc.
  • I am having the same issue. Zotero 5.0 and Word for Windows. I manually add the .dotm file and use the Word developer tools to make the Zotero tab appear in Word. However, when I try to enter a citation I get an error message indicating there is no active instance of Zotero running with Word, directing me to check to make sure Zotero is running. When I actually manage to get the Zotero tab to occur AND the software opening a data entry line to use the software, it goes away when Word is closed, causing the entire process to have to be repeated.

Is there a fix for this apparent issue with Word for Windows?
  • When I actually manage to get the Zotero tab to occur AND the software opening a data entry line to use the software, it goes away when Word is closed, causing the entire process to have to be repeated.
    @judybullock It is not clear what are you describing. Do you ever see the citation dialog when clicking "Add/Edit Citation" in the Word Zotero tab or not? If you do, how? And after that, what is the issue and the procedure to resolve it?
  • When I finally get the Zotero tab to install and Word "sees" it I get the Add/Edit citation dialog box to open up. However, the Zotero tab is gone the next time I open Word, so the process has to be repeated (manual installation). It seems only to work one time. When word it closed, Zotero add-in disappears form Word.
  • You should update to the latest version of Word, then reset the Word startup directory (instead of modifying it, set it to default), then reinstall the Zotero word plugin via Zotero Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processors. If it still disappears after restarting Word, before doing anything, check in Word, whether you can see Zotero.dotm listed under Developer -> Word Add-ins.
  • I'm using a new installation of Word in Office 365 (all updates applied). Does this make a difference?