Error downloading RIS files

This discussion was created from comments split from: some of the journal styles are not being installed.
  • I'm trying to download .ris files directly from Google Drive into Zotero. Some files are downloaded but then I get this message:
    "This item could not be saved because Zotero is not open or is unreachable. Please open Zotero and try again."
    I read the thread above but I have no idea what it all meant. Is there someone who could walk me through this step-by-step?
    Thank you.
  • This doesn't appear to be about citation styles at all. Please start a new thread and provide details like URLs. I'm not quite sure where Google Drive would have RIS files, e.g.
  • Moved to a new thread. @smcneil, you can respond here.
  • So basically a university librarian did a literature search and created file folders on google drive containing numerous articles from various data bases. These folders contain the extension .ris. When I go into Google Drive, I double click on the file folder, it takes me to a download page, I click on download, it scans for viruses, then saves to the folder on Zotero. But then it stops with the message "This item could not be saved because Zotero is not open or is unreachable. Please open Zotero and try again." I don't understand.
  • edited August 30, 2018
    (Note that this has moved to a new thread, so you shouldn't respond in the previous thread any longer. I've moved your latest comment back to this thread.)

Do you have Zotero open when clicking on the RIS file? If not, you need to have Zotero open. If so, can you provide a Report ID from Zotero after trying to save?
  • yes I had Zotero open. Here is the report ID#
  • Steps to reproduce.
    1. From Google Chrome, I am downloading journal articles from .ris file folders
    2. I double click on the file folder in Chrome
    3. A screen comes up in Google Chrome that has a download button and I click on it
    4. I get a message - scanning for viruses (lower left corner of screen)
    5. I get another brief message - waiting for (and script that runs by quickly so I cant read it) lower left corner of screen
    6. I get another message "saving to" followed by the collection file name in Zotero that I set up (top right screen)
    7. The files start to download but then I get "This item could not be saved because Zotero is not open or is unreachable. Please open Zotero and try again."
    8. when I look at Zotero, I see that some files were downloaded but not all of them, and the Zotero screen seems to shift around the collection by itself
  • Sometimes I get this comment but sometimes I don't - and I click OK:
    Zotero Connector

Import items from doc-14-94-docs.googleusercontent.com into Zotero?

You can manage automatic file importing in Zotero Connector preferences.

Always allow for this site
  • Is that Report ID after getting the error? We need a Report ID from immediately after getting an error and before restarting Zotero.

If it was, can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) from Zotero that includes your getting an error?