Install Zotero 5.0 on Debian

Hi,

A few questions about installing Zotero 5.0 on Debian:

- There is no .deb file for it?

- If I really need to do it using the tar file, should I uninstall the 4.0 version before or after installing the 5.0 version or it's not necessary?

- I don't really understand exactly what I should do with the tar file. I have unpacked it and wrote "zotero" on the terminal but the following message appears:

"Você parece estar utilizando o Zotero Standalone com privilégios de superusuário. Isso não é seguro e pode impedir o Zotero de funcionar quando lançado de sua conta de usuário.
Se você deseja instalar uma atualização automática, modifique o diretório do programa Zotero para conter privilégios de escrita por seu usuário."

Google translate:
"You seem to be using Zotero Standalone with superuser privileges. This is not secure and may prevent Zotero from working when released from your user account.
If you want to install an automatic update, modify the Zotero program directory to contain write privileges by your user."

Should I continue?

Thanks
  • Don't run zotero as root. There's no need to.

Extracting the tar will give you things you should be able to run from your home directory as a regular user on the most recent version of most popular linux distros, including Debian.

https://www.zotero.org/support/installation

You can install it globally by putting it in a location like /opt that is accessible by all users.

Better BibTeX includes a python script that may or may not make the installation easier for you

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex/master/zotero5_installer.py
  • Thanks, but:

I ran Zotero not as root. The stand alone opened and my library was there. The integration with Firefox is ok and with LibreOffice as well. However it is still the Zotero 4 version not 5... (I still can't synchronize with Zotero server)

What happened?

Please take a look at what happened on the terminal:

~$ cd /home/“user”/Downloads/Arquivos_deb/Zotero_linux-x86_64
    ~/Downloads/Arquivos_deb/Zotero_linux-x86_64$ zotero
    xulrunner not found, trying firefox instead.
    1535034205864 addons.webextension.zotero@chnm.gmu.edu WARN Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.

(zotero:5153): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/glib2.0-B1uXKV/glib2.0-2.50.3/./gobject/gsignal.c:3492: signal name 'selection_changed' is invalid for instance '0x7fcfa4fb58d0' of type 'MaiAtkType3'

(zotero:5153): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/glib2.0-B1uXKV/glib2.0-2.50.3/./gobject/gsignal.c:3492: signal name 'selection_changed' is invalid for instance '0x7fcfa4fb58d0' of type 'MaiAtkType3'

(...)

(firefox-esr:5246): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/glib2.0-B1uXKV/glib2.0-2.50.3/./gobject/gsignal.c:3492: signal name 'load_complete' is invalid for instance '0x7f2a2e6db1f0' of type 'MaiAtkType139'

Should I uninstall the version 4?
  • edited August 23, 2018
    You appear to have a zotero 4 in a directory that is in your path.
    Instead of:
    ~/Downloads/Arquivos_deb/Zotero_linux-x86_64$ zotero
    You want:
    ~/Downloads/Arquivos_deb/Zotero_linux-x86_64$ ./zotero
  • It worked out! Thanks

Can I uninstall the version 4 to avoid problems?

From now on, should I repeat the same procedure every time I want to run zotero?...
    And the terminal must stay opened while I use zotero?...
  • Can I uninstall the version 4 to avoid problems?
    Yes, if there are no other users of this system. I can't think of a reason to keep it around.
    From now on, should I repeat the same procedure every time I want to run zotero?...
    And the terminal must stay opened while I use zotero?...
    You may. Were it me, I'd symlink zotero.desktop as suggested on the installation page I linked to above. That'd let you start it from the launcher.