Zotero install will not work:LibreOffice 6.0, Windows 10

Have been trying for the past 3 days to install Zotero extension for LibreOffice on a new Windows 10 computer. I've tried with both LibreOffice 5.4 and 6.0; neither works. I get further with LibreOffice 6.0, but keep getting the message “An error occurred installing Zotero LibreOffice Integration.”

I have followed the instructions on this page https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#could_not_create_java_implementation_loader several times, to no avail. I keep getting the message "Could not create java implementation loader." I've checked and LibreOffice is showing a JRE under Tools->Options->LibreOffice->Advanced.

Following the instructions, I have removed the Zotero LibreOffice Integration component, and have uninstalled and reinstalled both LibreOffice and Zotero (several times each). Still no progress.

One thing I noticed was that although I'd manually removed the Zotero LibreOffice Integration Component from LibreOffice before uninstalling LibreOffice and Zotero, when I reinstalled Zotero, it kept saying that the component was installed (and asked if I wanted to reinstall it).

I'm at the end of my rope about this; I need both LibreOffice and Zotero and I need for them to work together. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
3reqs
  • My shop mostly uses Macs but we have one Windows 10 machine. Zotero and LibreOffice 6.05 definately work. You may need to uninstall some of your software and reinstall it in a particular sequence. Someone will likely respond soon with recommendations.
  • Which version of JRE. Can you install any other LibreOffice extension?
  • DWL-SDCA, thank you for letting me know that LibreOffice 6.05 and Zotero can work tegether in Windows 10.

adomasven, thank you for this question. The JRE is Java 10.1. As for other extensions: I was able to download and successfully use the Ancient Greek Language extension for LibreOffice.
  • So when you install the Zotero extension into LibreOffice do you get the toolbar? What is the problem you are facing now?
  • Yes, I see the toolbar, but it does not work. When I look into Tools->Extension Manager in LibreOffice, I see the Zotero extension listed, but with a message that says Error: The status of this extension is unknown.
  • This still indicates a problem with your Java JRE. Remove the extension from the extension manager, close LibreOffice, uninstall and reinstall the JRE, open LibreOffice and ensure the correct version of JRE is selected in Tools->Options->LibreOffice->Advanced and try reinstalling the plugin from Zotero -> Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processors.
  • Thank you -- I have tried that but will try again and post what happens.
  • adomasven --
    Thank you again; your suggestion did the trick! One thing I think may have been a factor: In my previous downloads of Java, I used the online installer. In this case I was able to find an offline installer. So perhaps the online installer wasn't installing the JRE correctly?
  • I got the same "Could not create java implementation loader." error. The icons for the plugin are in libreoffice writer but they dont work.
  • @luigi.marongiuo You will have to try the same steps for JRE (re)installation as above. The error indicates LibreOffice being unable to use your JRE.