Can no longer import bib files or import from clipboard

Report ID: 2028041865

I am unable to import .bib files or import from the clipboard any longer and can't figure out why. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The error I get is:

"An error occurred while trying to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again."

Even if I export the item from Zotero and then try to re-import
  • [JavaScript Error: "this.skipWords is undefined" {file: "Better BibTeX" line: 1305}]
    Temporarily disable Better BibTeX, and report this error to the BBT developer.
  • I've not yet received a report for this.
  • And I can't trace back that line number to anything that makes sense; this.skipWords only occurs in BBTs common.js, and nowhere near line 1305.
  • Can I perhaps get a larger part of 2028041865? @cwl352 has not reported on the problem on github and I'd really like to know what's going on here.
  • Nothing else there. It's a translator error. The line number would (in theory) reflect the line in the transpiled translator file.
  • That's just the thing -- "this.skipWords" does not occur anywhere in my transpiled translators. It occurs in one sourcefile and ends up in one transpiled file, but those are part of the chrome code, not the translator code. Can you see what version of BBT was installed? Older versions of BBT could in principle have had this.skipWords in translators but I've searched the history and at least going back to October 2017 this is not the case.
  • Sorry, I have no other info here other than what I pasted above.
  • BBT isn't installed.
  • edited August 10, 2018
    So @cwl352, since you don't have BBT installed anymore, you should actually reset your translators from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences to clear the old translator file, which is causing this error.
  • edited August 25, 2018
    Then @cwl352 must have a very, very old (pre-zotero-5) Better BibTeX.js still lingering in his translator directory. I haven't searched the Z4 branch but it's not at all unlikely that that translator did have this.skipWords.
  • I think I know what must have happened; BBT usually removes the translators on uninstall, but in the Z4 - Z5 transition, if you had BBT installed, it wouldn't work at all so uninstalling it would leave the old translators. Re-installing a Z5 BBT would fix that, but if you never installed again, the translators would remain in place.