Zotero Online library Missing

I recently had a computer crash. The IT department "transferred" a back-up to a different computer (both using windows 10). Following this, I reinstalled Zotero and FireFox (54.0.1 32 bit). When I tried to sync my library I receive the error message, "SSL certificate error connecting to api.zoter.org" I went online to my library and now that database is also missing. I cannot find any old versions because I no longer have access the previous PC. How do I find my lost library?
  • If you see the empty online library and you have no access to the hard disk from your old computer, then I think, there is no way to restore your data.
  • While that's true, a back-up transferred to a different computer should include the Zotero database under normal circumstances.
  • What's the point of an online library if I cannot use it to restore my library?
  • The point is that it doesn't sound like you ever had an online library -- had you ever checked online before?
    The fact that you receive an SSL error now suggests that syncing may never have worked.
  • Where would the files be located then? I have looked at the path but the and the new computer only lists the zotero.sqlite with today's date. which I am assuming are the references I added today.
  • You answer yourself. Primary location is on your hard disk (file zotero.sqlite) and data saved in this file are synced to the online storage only if the sync is functional.
  • You have potentially no direct way to get back some of your data. If you have a backup of documents (e.g. articles, thesis etc.) with Zotero references you can try to use reference extractor by Rintze (https://rintze.zelle.me/ref-extractor/). It is not the best way, but in some cases, it is better as nothing.
  • This may be worth a look: https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#where_did_my_items_go

Hard to say more without understanding the nature of the back-up and the set-up of your old computer. The top of that page has the default locations for data folders in Windows 10. As you search for .sqlite files, make sure you include hidden files & folders in your search.

It's also odd that you would be running Firefox 54 on a new computer -- that's an outdated version of Firefox that is not supported anymore and poses security risks.

• Been using Zotero since 2007 - a wonderful program. I had three hard drive crashes the last one two days ago. As always I simply loss everything. I am at the point of looking for a new research system that provide some from of back up in the cloud.
    Any suggestions will be highly appreciated as I am highly frustrated losing everything whilst working on a book section and a journal article.
  • @Willie1234: While we strongly encourage local backups of your entire hard drive regardless, if you use Zotero syncing, you have all your data in the cloud. The issue for alutkew above is simply that they weren't syncing.
  • @Willie1234 I do not understand you? Why do not use Zotero? You can sync it with your account in the Zotero cloud. You can use a lot of other free cloud services to upload PDF files or pay Zotero storage.