Style Request: [Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging]

Online style documentation: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/page/journal/1475097x/homepage/ForAuthors.html

Online ISSN:1475-097X

References listed in alphabetical order taking account of the first author. If the first author appears more than once the references should be placed in chronological order. The style to be used is shown in the following examples. In the list of references, all authors should be presented. (Journal abbreviations are according to the World List of Scientific Periodicals.)

Journal In-text Citation, et al is always italicized:
(Campbell & Pedersen, 2007)
For more than two authors: (Campbell et al., 2007)
If there are multiple citations in one place, chronological order: (Campbell et al., 2007; Graefe et al., 2009)
If the author is mentioned in the text, e.g.: According to Campbell & Pedersen (2007)

Book In-text Citation:
(Mares, 2001)

Journal Bibliography: et al is always italicized, volume is always boldfaced, up to 3 authors listed and then et al. with no additional delimiter (just a preceding comma). All name separations are with commas, never use "&" or "and".
Campbell JL, Pedersen OK. The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success. Comp Polit Stud (2007); 40: 307–332.

Book Bibliography: book title is italicized
Mares I. Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers? In: Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage (eds. Hall, P.A. & Soskice, D.) (2001); vol. 1, part 1, pp. 184–213. Oxford University Press, New York.

Properly styled paper: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/cpf.12374
  • thanks for following the guide.

Will look at this in the next week.
  • Much appreciated!
  • Tremendous...thank you.
  • Hello - just a quick question. I noticed in the Reference section of my manuscript, upon loading this new CSL, the page numbers act rather strangely. The end value in a number range gets rearranged as follows. Should be: ABC-DEF. Shows as: ABC-EF X.

This may be slightly easier to explain with examples. Here are just three.

How it appears (correctly) in the Zotero Library:
    Pages: 143-151
    How it appears in the manuscript Bibliography:
    Chambers JW, Behrens AN, Martinsen BJ. Atherectomy Devices for the Treatment of Calcified Coronary Lesions. Interv Cardiol Clin (2016); 143–51 5

Pages: 525-538
    Díez-Delhoyo F, Gutiérrez-Ibañes E, Loughlin G, et al. Coronary physiology assessment in the catheterization laboratory. World J. Cardiol. (2015); 525–38 7

I believe the extra value "X" actually represents the chronological numbering of the reference itself. For example, the first sample here happens to be the fifth citation, whereas the second one is the seventh citation.

In some cases, the Bibliography reference does not terminate with the page numbers. In cases such as this (see below), the X value does not get appended and the page numbering in the citation is correct. There is an extraneous ; appended however.

Pages: 217-240
    Chambers JW, Martinsen BJ. Orbital Atherectomy in the Coronary Arteries. In: Textb. Atherectomy (ed. Shammas N. W.) (2016); pp. 217–40. HMP Communications, LLC;

Overall, I think the only problem is that an extra number (X) or punctuation (;) is being appended to the reference. I can certainly go through my manuscript manually to correct this, but I thought I would mention it here in the Forum as well. Thanks again for your help and great work.
  • One more comment: the actual reference should have the page numbers listed as ABC-DEF. Full three numbers in range, plus a period. For example:

Evilevitch V, Norrgren K, Greiff L, Wollmer P. Microsvascular response in guinea pig skin to histamine challenged with and without application of skin window. Clin Physiol Funct Imaging (2004); 24: 266-269.

Upon looking further through my manuscript, I determined the CSL error. That extraneous X value is not the reference order, but the volume number. The volume actually belongs prior to the page numbers and should be bold-faced. In the above example, 24 should be in bold.

Another error in the current CSL as written is the addition of et al to the references. In the Bibliography, all authors should be listed. It is only in the in-text citations that et al is appropriate. Thank you again for your help.
  • OK for the page range there is very easy solution. You can delete "page-range-format="minimal" from line 2

The second: number "5" and "7" in your examples do not
    represent the chronological numbering of the reference
    but it represent the volume of journal. And correct structure according to the guide for autors should be:
    Evilevitch V, Norrgren K, Greiff L, Wollmer P. Microsvascular response in guinea pig skin to histamine challenged with and without application of skin window. Clin Physiol Funct Imaging (2004); 24: 266-269.
    The updated style is available (befor it was uploaded to the repository) from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/2552d7cc5014bf9be792125cd7a533274476eca9/clinical-physiology-and-functional-imaging.csl
  • Yes, I updated the Comment regarding the volume number. Thank you for correcting the code. If I download https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:clinical-physiology-and-functional-imaging now will it have the updated style? Thanks again for your help.
  • Currently no, check that date.