Adding a citation changes the paragraph spacing and its justification.

Hello,
I am using LibreOffice writer (Version: 6.0.5.2) and when i add the citation plugin, the (line) spacing between the lines in the paragraph and its justification gets altered.

How do i cease that from not happening when i do the citation...? and hence it doesn't affect my line spacing and justification.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
  • Does it happen in a new document?
  • not only in a new document but in also old documents too...
  • edited August 9, 2018
    I have this problem too, and have done all year. It is most frustrating, to say the least! I'm using Libreoffice 5.4.5.1 and the latest version of Zotero on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)
  • If you want Zotero to maintain paragraph properties, you will need to create a paragraph style for those paragraphs.
  • @adomasven Sorry, but I don't understand your answer.

I have exactly the same issue, and the "paragraph properties", if that's what they are called, were line spacing 1.5, but each time I add a citation, it changes it to 1. Of course, it only takes 2 clicks to change it back. However, I've just tested. If I correct it back to 1.5 and THEN insert another citation, it does it again and I have to correct it again.
    I hope this can be fixed in some way...
  • @adomasven Do you mean create a paragraph style other than Normal? So you mean that inserting a citation causes the unmodified paragraph formatting to be applied?
  • Yes. Due to technical reasons inserting rich text (so superscript, accented characters, etc.) can only be done in a default style of the document, after which Zotero changes this newly inserted citation to the style of surrounding text. You can either modify the Normal style or create a new one when you need to retain paragraph properties.
  • @jcmeunier Okay, so what you need to do is to make a new formatting style in Word (from the Home tab where Normal, Heading 1, etc. are shown), rather than directly changing the formatting of the paragraph. This is generally a good idea in any case when using Word, as it is much fast to make changes to the formatting throughout the entire document later if you’ve used a Style rather than making direct formatting changes.
  • @bwiernik

Sorry, I forgot to mention I was using LibreOffice. I don't know if it works the same way.

I have to admit I have never used that sort of things, AND I don't know Word that much, because before I started transitioning to LibreOffice (in order to use Zotero, in particular), I was working on Mac Pages.
  • Thank you very much, @bwiernik !

Very useful, as always. It does work indeed ! When there is a predefined style, Zotero does not mess up the layout. :-)