Non-western names in in-text citations

I am dealing with an issue with non-Western naming convention and in-text citations, using the MLA citation style. I cite a lot of Korean authors, and if I use the single name field, it works fine for the Works Cited section, but the in-text citations use the full name, rather than just the family name as would be correct. If I use the two fields for the name, then the in-text citations are fine, but the Works Cited page is not. Reading through a very old thread on this same issue makes it seem like this situation was solved, but I can't figure out how. Is there a work-around that everyone already knows? If not, is there any way to add a name field for in-text citations?
  • Does the problem still happen in other styles, like APA or Chicago?
  • Yes, this happens in every in-text style I've tried, and on both mac and pc, using word.
  • Can you copy and paste exactly what is shown with each name format (or take a screenshot and post to a site like Dropbox and link here)?
  • edited July 18, 2018
    Sure, I've uploaded screen shots here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1POZO5ohcKWcl3FgXRg79MW9jb1kcNdzR

As you will see, the in-text citations are showing the full name for any name put in the single field, which is incorrect. Any ideas on how to solve?
  • edited July 19, 2018
    Should this name not be entered LastName: Kim FirstName:So-Young to get the results you need instead of using the single-name entry option? I have success when I enter Korean names that way.

(Or am I wrong and the ability of styles to parse the single-name field is far more sophisticated that I believed?)
  • Yes, personal names need to be stored in two field mode, otherwise Zotero treats them as an atomic unit (one single name that cannot be split up). One field mode is for organizations, not people. I meant that I need a screenshot showing what you are saying is wrong when you store them in two field mode.
  • If you store them in the two name field, then in-text citations are correct, but in the bibliography you get:

Kim, So-Young, and Chris Berry. “‘Suri Suri Masuri’: The Magic of the Korean Horror Film: A Conversation.” Postcolonial Studies, vol. 3, no. 1, 2000, pp. 53–60.

The comma between "Kim" and "So-Young" is incorrect. Unless there is another work around that I can't find, the easiest way to correct this seems to be adding an optional in-text field, so the author's name can be stored in the single field, with the family name additionally in an in-text citation field.

I suppose it is possible to manually delete the comma in the bibliography, but that requires some additional way of remembering which authors have changed their names to a Western order versus those who have not.
  • edited July 22, 2018
    Incorrect? The comma is the norm (in a reference list) even in English language journals published in Korea.

Changed their names? I don't think that the author's consider that their names have been changed when transliteated for an English language publication.

edit: strikethrough to indicate that I was wrong in this situation of MLA style. See the next two items in this thread.
  • Just because it has become the norm, doesn't necessarily make it correct. If the name order has not been switched, then there should not be a comma: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/1016/04/.

• edited July 22, 2018
    OK. You are correct. (I apologize and feel like a foolish nitwit for being blind to what you were saying.) I was not thinking about MLA style rules. I don't think that I have seen an English language Korean journal that uses MLA style. [see the APA example at the bottom of your example page] Your question is much more interesting than I first thought.

I guess that the question for Zotero and CSL concerns the possibility of adding a language attribute to individual author names. Does Juris-M have this capability?

As an explanation of my pig-headedness, I'm comming from the perspective of a database curator instead of an author. My instincts are based on findability in an author name search. Thus, I'm more interested in having an author name query identify all works by the author -- that means assigning name synonyms so that an author may be found using a Korean alphabet or an English alphabet search.

Again, I apologize for thinking I was being authorative when in reality I was uninformed about MLA style.
  • @fbennett Does citeproc-is or Juris-M have any ability or syntax to indicate a name should be displayed as family given when name-as-sort-order=“false”?