"Purge Storage"

Hello.
I do not think I understand the utility of "Purge Storage", in https://www.zotero.org/settings/storage.
I clicked "Purge Storage", and I think my online Library (in Zotero website) was deleted. Instead, correctly, the documents on Zotero program in my laptop were unchanged. Then, I tried to sync Zotero (from the program in my laptop): the files are again present in My Library in Zotero website, BUT "Current Usage" is still 0%, even after 30 min. Why?
  • edited April 18, 2013
    "Purge Storage" deletes files you've synced from Zotero File Storage (or, technically, unassociates them from your account, and they're purged later). It doesn't affect item data in your library.

Zotero won't reupload files unless you do Reset File Sync History in the Sync->Reset pane of the Zotero preferences.

The main reason to use "Purge Storage" is if you're switching to WebDAV and said no when the Zotero client asked you if you wanted to purge Zotero File Storage files. What were you trying to use it for?
  • Ok thanks!
    I understand it now.
  • Hi Dan, what do you mean by saying "Zotero won't reupload files unless you do Reset File Sync History". I thought, if we purge storage, and we don't do anything else, all the pdf files in our computer will be synced to my zotero online account later.
    Am I wrong?
    If I am wrong, then every time I reach the limit, I can simply purge storage, and only use the pdf files on my computer.
  • New files you add will upload. Older files won't reupload automatically.

The vast majority of people shouldn't ever use this option. It exists for people who 1) switched to WebDAV but didn't allow the client to do the purge when prompted or 2) disabled file sync for My Library but not groups and want to free up space for group libraries they own.
  • Hi Dan,

I just want to be clear before purging. I have transferred all my Zotero online to Box.com. I also sync my Zotero library between a PC and laptop, using the WebDAV on box.com to sync the files.

If I purge from Zotero.com, will I just delete the attached PDFs? I don't want to delete my whole library of journal metadata and file structure!

Cheers
  • If I purge from Zotero.com, will I just delete the attached PDFs?
    Correct. It's just for the files — not attachment items — stored on zotero.org. Purge Storage is meant for exactly this situation (and the Zotero client actually prompts you to do it when you switch from Zotero File Storage to WebDAV).
  • Sorry, but my english is not as accurate as I want ...

What kind of files will be erased with the PURGE options?
    What will happen with my bibliography already in use? Will I lost it?

I use linux with the standalone server, but always synchronized, with Zotero (not WebDAV)

Thanks in advance
  • @CainPY: If you're using Zotero File Storage, don't use Purge Storage — simple as that.
  • Thanks ...

Will investigate the WebDAV option ... no clue about it ...
  • edited July 19, 2018
    @CainPY Before doing anything, could you instead simply explain what you are trying to do?
  • in fact, when I readed the post, I learn that theres is something called "WebDAV" ... and now I have curiosity ...
  • A question:

Does 'purge storage' just purge attachment files at the online Zotero site? Does it then leave attachment files on my C drive that I access with the Zotero program on my computer (not on my web browser)?

I am considering using Google Drive to sync the C > Users > ... > Zotero > storage folder while using Zotero online syncing to store the other files in the Zotero folder on my C drive, including the Sqlite file.

(Another question: do I need the Sqlite file and two sqlite.bak files now in my Zotero folder?)
  • Does 'purge storage' just purge attachment files at the online Zotero site? Does it then leave attachment files on my C drive that I access with the Zotero program on my computer (not on my web browser)?
    It only deletes the files on the server.
    However, I'm not clear why
    I am considering using Google Drive to sync the C > Users > ... > Zotero > storage folder while using Zotero online syncing to store the other files in the Zotero folder on my C drive, including the Sqlite file.
    would require that. Just disable file sync in Zotero. ( I didn't realize you could specify google drive to sync a specific folder -- you want to be absolutely sure it does not touch the rest of the Zotero data folder.)

(Another question: do I need the Sqlite file and two sqlite.bak files now in my Zotero folder?)
    You absolutely need the sqlite file. the sqlite.bak files, as the file extension suggests, are automated backup copies. I'd leave them alone.
  • Thanks. Yes, Google Drive is now Backup and Sync from Google, and it can now sync a specific folder, so I have it synching the Zotero storage file. Syncing is slow though given the huge number of small files that saving web sites etc. on Zotero involves.