Report ID: 797878019 SBL Series in Italics

Hello. Yesterday I was inputting citations using SBL (2nd ed.) and the series was correctly showing WITHOUT italics. Today, after updating to Zotero 5.0.53, the series is showing up incorrectly WITH italics. I have tried restarting both Zotero and MS Word for Mac (16.14.1).

Any suggestions?
  • Could you export the item in question as Zotero RDF (no notes or files) open the exported file with a text editor (like TextEdit), select all, copy, paste to gist.github.com and click "Create secret gist" then provide the URL here? You won't need a github account.
  • I can seem to find a way/place to paste it into GitHub...
  • to go https://gist.github.com --there's a window (with a grey 1 in it) that you can paste into. The yellow-ish "create secret gist" button is below that window
  • I don't see anything like that.
  • sorry; they changed the site & now only allow registered users to create these. Looking for an alternative.
  • Use https://hastebin.com and click on the save icon at the top right after pasting. Sorry for the misdirection.
  • edited July 9, 2018
    I need the URL that appears once you save (in your browser's address bar that is)-- only way for me to find what you posted.
  • The style interprets the presence of # of volumes to indicate a multivolume book rather than a series -- @tmykkanen coded this, but this example suggests to me that there's a problem with this logic. The book inquestion is a multivolume book published in a series, i.e.

Philostratus, The Life of Apollonius of Tyana, trans. Christopher P. Jones, 2 vols., LCL (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2005).

but the style italicizes LCL (incorrectly).

This would also seem to explain the issue of the user in this older thread: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/71221/style-error-for-sbl-handbook-of-style-2nd-ed-series-should-output-in-roman/p1
  • Is there anything I can do to change it?
  • edited July 10, 2018
    I took a look at the CSL today and I think the challenge is the Zotero field "series" (collection-title in CSL) is pulling double duty at series title and multivolume work title.

I'm not sure the best way to fix this. When I coded it, I needed a hook to identify multivolume works and the presence of volume # seemed like a good bet. I didn't test LCL entries with more than one volume, however, so I didn't catch the conflict. Sorry about that!

@dbryansurf for whatever work you're working on right now, I'd suggest using find and replace to manually remove the italics. I'd advise against messing with the style unless you know what you're doing. If you do, the place for the code is in the collection-title-note macro. I'd imagine it needs to be fixed in the collection-title macro as well, but I haven't checked.

@adamsmith I won't have time to rethink this and code a solution anytime soon, so if someone else has an idea and wants to tackle it, that's great. At least we have more functionality than we did before. Hopefully without causing too many additional problems. :) Also, I think you're right about this being the problem from the thread you quoted. The OP didn't post back with more details, but I'm guessing he had volume # information which was triggering the italics.
  • I'd be inclined to remove the logic for the time being. We're planning a volume-title field for CSL in the not-too distant future to address exactly this, but in the meantime I'd treat titles of multi-volume works as simply unsupported, whereas series titles are -- and the field is clearly labeled as series title.