"Ed. and trans." in SBL style

I'm using Zotero 5.0.45 with Word 2016 on Windows 10. When using the Chicago 17 full-note style, "ed." and "trans." notations get condensed appropriately when the two fields are the same. Thus, for instance, one would get a note like:
Hans-Georg Gadamer, “On the Scope and Function of Hermeneutical Reflection,” in Philosophical Hermeneutics, ed. and trans. David E. Ligne, 1st paperback ed. (Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 1977), 18–43; Hans-Georg Gadamer, Truth and Method, ed. and trans. Joel Weinsheimer and Donald G. Marshall, 2nd ed. (New York: Crossroad, 1989; repr., London: Continuum, 2006).
When using the SBL style, however, this condensation doesn't happen and the output is like:
Hans-Georg Gadamer, “On the Scope and Function of Hermeneutical Reflection,” in Philosophical Hermeneutics, ed. David E. Ligne, trans. David E. Ligne, 1st paperback ed. (Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 1977), 18–43; Hans-Georg Gadamer, Truth and Method, ed. Joel Weinsheimer and Donald G. Marshall, trans. Joel Weinsheimer and Donald G. Marshall, 2nd ed. (New York: Crossroad, 1989; repr., London: Continuum, 2006).
Would it be possible for the SBL style to condense these notations just as does the Chicago style?

Thank you so much!
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs.
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting
  • That's great. Thank you so much!
  • Hmmm ... I do see the SBL style in the repository was updated as of 2018-04-28 20:58:59. Just to be thorough, I've removed the SBL style from Zotero, downloaded it afresh, and added it back. I've also completely refreshed notes from Zotero in the document I'm working on. But, I'm still getting the uncondensed output noted above from 26 April.

Would you have any thoughts about what I might be missing, or what else I need to do to put the updated style to work?

Thank you, again!
  • Try to change to a different style and then back to SBL. :)
  • @damnation, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to help. The output still has the uncondensed editor and translator information. :-/
  • I'll check -- I didn't test this, but I took the code from Chicago Manual, so surprised there are problems.
  • @adamsmith took a look, was a small thing, pull request pending.
  • Ok. Great. Thanks so much to you both!
  • @adamsmith and @fbennett, sorry for the bother but just wanted to check in ... is the fix on this issue intentionally still pending? It sounded like "a small thing" on 2 May, but the current style in the repository is still the one from 28 April. So, just wanted to make sure this hadn't moved off the radar. Thanks so much for any updates!
  • @dstark Should be good now, sorry for the delay.
  • (which was entirely my responsibility, for the record)
  • @adamsmith is too hard on himself.
  • edited May 22, 2018
    @fbennett wrote:

@adamsmith is too hard on himself

Maybe, but his post certainly speaks to his integrity as does your post reflect yours. All of us Zotero users owe you both our gratitude. Thank you.
  • @fbennett and @adamsmith, no worries. Thanks so much! I can't imagine how many inquiries you guys get each day, and we're so grateful for all you do!

As far as this adjustment goes, I've tried on two different Windows 10 machines both running the latest versions of Word and Zotero. And I've made sure I have the latest version of the SBL style from the repository (2018-05-22 13:06:26). I've also restarted Word, restarted Zotero, changed the document to a wholly different style and back again to SBL.

But, for me, the "ed." and "trans." output is still duplicated as in the example above. I'm sorry if it's an issue on my end. Is there something else I should be trying to make sure to get the updated style to work properly in the document?
  • Ha. Yes, I get the same result. The cause is clear, and I did wonder about when looking through the style. If I had tested with a chapter item, I would have caught it. Fixes coming up shortly ...
  • Followup fixes submitted. We'll get this right eventually.
  • Okay. Sounds great. I'm sure we'll get it straight. Glad to know from my end I wasn't missing something. I'll watch the repository for when the update comes through. Thanks, again!
  • @adamsmith and @fbennett, just wanting to check in on the status of this fix. It looks like the most current version of the SBL style in the repository is still from 2018-05-22 13:06:26 where this issue still exists.

If a fix is still pending, that's perfectly fine. Just wanted to check in in case the new version of the style was essentially done but just needing to get pushed out.

Thank you again for all your work!
  • I just merged Frank's changes. Sorry this has been dragging on so long, lots of things going on. This should really work now, though.
  • @adamsmith, not a problem. I'm sure you all are working all sorts of magic, and we really do appreciate it. This version of the style looks like it fixes this issue perfectly too. So, thanks so much!