Firefox standalone apparently not working

I have two Zotero accounts, one in Firefox and one in Chrome. I use Windows 10. Zotero in Chrome works fine.

In Firefox, when I go to a specific citation in then click on the Save to Zotero icon in the upper right, if the Zotero icon is turned on, I get a message that says “Saving to My Library,” and the reference is saved to my Zotero library in Chrome. If Zotero is turned off and I do the same thing, a message pops up asking me if Zotero is turned on.

According to C:\Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs ad Features, I have Zotero Standalone 4.0.29.10 (x86 en-US). I want to be able to save references to my Firefox library instead of saving all refs to my Chrome Library. Can I do that? How?
  • Update Zotero to the most recent version. 5.0.52
  • Note that by default Firefox and Chrome point to the same Zotero library—they are simply “connectors” to your standalone library, not “libraries”.
  • Thanks for both comments.
    If Firefox and Chrome point to the same Zotero library, does Zotero keep track of how much storage I have used on each account?
  • To adamsmith: When I go to the link included in the email I received from you, it just takes me to this discussion.
  • That's not how storage works. There are three components of Zotero:
    1. The local software (which used to be called Zotero Standalone; now just "Zotero"). It saves all your data and files locally
    2. Connectors to browsers like Firefox and Chrome. Their only role is to save data to 1.)
    3. The copy of your library online. You can (but don't have to) sync data and files from 1.) to the Zotero servers and from there to other machines. The storage on your account is for the files synced to the server.
  • You don't get e-mails from me. You just get automated notifications from this forum. If check update in Zotero doesn't work to update, re-install from zotero.org
  • @weddellb When you asked about Firefox and Chrome libraries... Do have one ore do you have 2 Zotero accounts? Do you have more than one user name? When you set up Zotero 4 Standalone did you already have a Zotero for Firefox version and did you not choose to keep the same database?
  • I have 2 Zotero accounts, with different user names.
  • edited June 22, 2018
    If you actually want to use those both on the same computer, see Multiple Profiles, but this is considered an advanced configuration, and we can't really help you much beyond the documentation there (though what's there is accurate). Based on your questions here, I'd strongly recommend using a single account and a single local profile and instance.
  • Thank you.