Is Scaffold working with sync preview?

have downloaded and installed the Scaffold extension, but it doesn't seem to be working properly with the Sync preview -- the window appears, but when I try to test a regex nothing appears in the output window; similarly, when I try to load the list of translators, nothing appears in the window.

Am I missing something obvious?
  • edited November 15, 2008
    The translators are in a different location in sync preview, outside of the db--in the "translators" folder within the "zotero" folder. At the moment, you can edit them by opening the files in a text editor. There is an open ticket to adapt Scaffold for 1.5 translators.
  • Ah. Right. I had found the translator js scripts; but what you're saying is that Scaffold doesn't work at present with 1.5 at all.

OK.
  • So - I'm trying to use the tutorial, How To Write a Zotero Translator, http://niche.uwo.ca/member-projects/zotero-guide/chapter6.html#s6p4 to write a translator. This tutorial involves Scaffold. I've installed Zotero 2.0...and I'm having the same problem as seatrout. Nothing shows up in the output window, when I test regex or try to write code in the Detect Code tab.

Is there some other tutorial I should be using? As someone with a little HTML background but no JavaScript or other coding language experience, I have found this tutorial very clear and helpful so far, but I am now finding myself at a standstill.
  • As far as I know this still applies:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/6533/scaffold-in-firefox-31/?Focus=28304#Comment_28304

I personally prefer using Scaffold, as it rather conveniently shows debug-output, so I write my translators in Zotero 1.0.10.
  • Thanks, Rintze! Bear with my novice-ness here, but:

If I write a translator in Zotero 1.0.10 will it work for people using later versions of Zotero?

To install 1.0.10, do I need to uninstall my current version of Zotero first? Or can/should I run Zotero 2.0 and Zotero 1.0.10 at the same time?

And I'm afraid this part of the linked forum comment is Greek to me. I hope I'll understand it better when I've finished the tutorial.

"If creating a new translator, just copy an existing one into a new file and generate a new GUID. The only required parts are the JSON block at the top, detectWeb(), and doWeb()."
  • Note that you can get debug output from the javascript files too (in either the firefox error console or by using zotero.debug & monitoring the CLI).
    If I write a translator in Zotero 1.0.10 will it work for people using later versions of Zotero?
    Yes, with only minor formatting modifications that are described by Dan in the last post of the thread.
    To install 1.0.10, do I need to uninstall my current version of Zotero first? Or can/should I run Zotero 2.0 and Zotero 1.0.10 at the same time?
    You can only use a single version of the extension. Older versions cannot read the database of newer versions. I'd create a second firefox profile specifically for development & use 1.0.10 in that profile & continue to use 2.0 in your regular profile.
  • I'm really sorry but -- how do I create a second firefox profile?
  • Never mind - I found out how here
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+Profiles

I'll try that. Being entirely new to all this, I want to stick by the tutorial-creating instructions in the tutorial I've started, so I do want to use Scaffold, at least for now.

Thanks again, Rintze, and thanks noksagt