Two questions from a CSL Newbie

Folks, I'm trying to create the CSL file for a journal I work with (Ethnobiology Letters). I've managed to get much of the formatting into the right order and worked out conditionals to handle some of their peculiarities. However, two items leave me stumped.

1) How do I handle the macro for author names so that the first name in a list is presented last name first followed by initials, but all subsequent names in the list are presented with initials first, then last name? Something like Doe, J.W., T.D. Ious, R.U. Sirius and R.T. Tripp

2) The style file I began from creates references for chapters that do not display full bibliographic information for the books in which they are located, instead just referring to them by title. The journal in question would like full information for each entry that refers to the enclosing volume.

An example will make this clear:

de la Cadena, M. & Starn, O. 2007a. Indigenous Experience Today. Berg, Oxford, England.
de la Cadena, M. & Starn, O. 2007b. ‘Introduction’. In Indigenous experience today, pp. 2–30.
Clifford, J. 2007. ‘Varieties of Indigenous Experience: Diasporas, Homelands, Sovereignties’. In Indigenous experience today, pp. 197–223.

Thus, the snippet above would ideally look like:

de la Cadena, M. & O. Starn 2007a. Indigenous Experience Today. Berg, Oxford, England.
de la Cadena, M. & O. Starn 2007b. ‘Introduction’. In Indigenous experience today, edited by de la Cadena, M. & O. Starn. Berg, Oxford, England. pp. 2–30.
Clifford, J. 2007. ‘Varieties of Indigenous Experience: Diasporas, Homelands, Sovereignties’. In Indigenous experience today, edited by de la Cadena, M. & O. Starn. Berg, Oxford, England. pp. 197–223.

Would anyone have any pointers on what I need to tweak to fix these two problems?

Many thanks,

—WBTD.
Will Tuladhar Douglas
  • 1) name-as-sort-order="first"

2) Might be worthwhile to start from a different style, as chapters are a lot of work, but essentially you'll need to add an editor macro that produces the "edited by de la Cadena, M. & O. Starn" bit and a publisher macro (the same used for books) that produces "Berg, Oxford, England"
    Hard to say more without seeing the current version of your style.
  • 1. that's handled via the name-as-sort-order set on "first".
    2. That's pretty much how most common styles deal with chapters. for example I'm sitting in front of the council-of-science-editors-author-date that is like that.
  • Thanks, folks. First problem sorted. Second problem will take a little longer...
  • If you get stuck, post your full style to gist.github.com, link to it here and ask for help.
  • Started over: now that I'm seeing the patterns, I was able to choose a much better starting file than the ‘visual match’ proposed. This is actually quite an elegant system!

Next question, which I think is too simple to need a gist: where is the algorithm to prepend p. or pp. depending on the page variable?
  • use label: <label variable="page" form="short"/>
  • Sorry, think I found it already - the label for page, right?
  • @adamsmith _many_ thanks - I've got it as far as I can for now and have asked the editors to send me a testbed references list.