How to use Zotero with Word Online/Onedrive

A student would like to use Zotero with Onedrive Word Online running on a MAC. Based on some other forum conversations this seems to be doable, but after looking at the documentation I don't see how to get started with this. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
  • No, Zotero won't work with Word online. Zotero does work with Word 365 & Onedrive, which allows for simultaneous live editing.
  • Note that you can safely edit a document that contains Zotero citations in Word Online. You just can't add or edit Zotero citations or bibliographies.
  • How can I get Zotero to work with Word365 and Onedrive? Is there any documentation or instructions on how to do this? Is the answer that I can edit a document that already has Zotero cites in Word 365?
  • Afaik the only thing needed is to place the document into OneDrive and open it in Word; there's nothing special involved.
  • If by Word365 you mean the installed desktop version of Word, then yes, you can use Zotero normally to add and edit citations and bibliographies, in both new documents and existing ones.

Word Online does not have the extension system Zotero uses to edit documents, so it's not possible to add Zotero to Word Online. You can edit a document with Zotero citations already in it in Word Online and then go back to working with it in the desktop version of Word with Zotero later, but you cannot make any changes to Zotero citations or bibliographies from within Word Online itself.
  • Thank you Bwiernik, that is what I was trying to ascertain.
  • I would really appreciate it if zotero be compatible with word online. I'm currently working on Ubuntu so installing MS office is not an option. I've tried Google docs instead, which has zotero plugin, but it lacks main features that I use in MS Word. This is the only issue kept me switching back and forth between operating systems ubuntu and windows.
  • On Linux, most people needing a word processor generally equivalent to MS Word use LibreOffice, which Zotero also supports.
  • UpVote. Zotero plugin for Word online would be much helpful.
  • If this helps, there is a Zotero plugin for Google Docs documents. I use it when I edit online documents.
  • On a different thread, SoftMaker Office (softmaker.com) has announced Zotero support for their most recent Office suite (TextMaker is their equivalent to Word), and they have Windows, Mac and Linux versions. I did not test this though. But I have been using their suite on Windows, and it is reliable, and even portable.
  • Word online has a Mendeley add-in. A Zotero one would be very useful.
  • Is there any plan for this?
    I want to move completely to Linux
    LibreOffice is great, but co-writing with Word users makes this problematic
    Softmaker is great, co-writing with Word users is better, but it has no equation editor in Linux
    Using Word web is a possible solution, but no Zotero support.
  • Thanks @damnation
    That's me :)
    I'm still finding the best solution
    the lack of equation editor in Linux Softmaker is a dealbreaker for me
    I have just got my Windows10 in VirtualBox going to check if that is yet another viable solution
  • Is it is possible to edit citations in MS Word, have the document sync to a cloud service such as one drive, and then add more citations from another computer with a sync zotero library? Will they all show in the same bibliography?
  • Yes that workflow is very common.