Why is my "add item by identifier" greyed out?

Why is my "add item by identifier" greyed out?
Suddenly this is an issue. I was adding things this way before...

help!
  • Are you in a group library or My Library? Can you add an item using other methods?
  • I'm in "My Library". I'm also having issues with the 'save to zotero' icon in the upper right. Some things save, others, the "saving to Zotero" thing pops up, but they never appear and I have to enter them manually.

• Can you provide a Report ID? What version of Zotero are you running?

As far as I know "Add Item by Identifier" is never grayed out, even in read-only libraries.

Restart Zotero and try again, and if you're still having trouble take a screenshot that shows the problem, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link here.
  • Hi,

I'm not sure what version I'm running. I found a forum with these instructions:

"You can find out your Zotero version either by clicking on "About Zotero" in the gears/action menu, or, when using Zotero for Firefox, by going to Tools --> Add-ons --> Extensions (the Tools button may just be the Firefox logo at the top left of your browser).That's also where you see your version of the Word plugin."

but I can't find any of these menu options, including 'preferences' 'edit' or etc.

I guess I'll keep looking, but I've already spent 30 minutes and I'm losing patience.

here's a screenshot:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/voff0mpq5i7p49k/Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 06.59.02.png?dl=0

Thanks for your help,

R

• edited June 8, 2018
    You're looking at the Zotero web library. You want to be using the Zotero software.

If you don't have it on your current computer, you'll need to download and install it.
  • I already went through the process of downloading the connector version. Did it just abort somehow?
  • "Add Item by Identifier" — and most Zotero functionality — is in the Zotero program. The Zotero Connector is just a browser extension that helps you save to the Zotero program.
  • Ok. I downloaded the program and the icon now appears in my dock. What do I have to do to get the full functionality going?
  • What exactly do you mean?
  • the "add item by identifier" is still greyed out
  • edited June 10, 2018
    You were looking at the website before. Are you still looking at the website now?
    If so, are you mistaking the 'edit item' icon for the 'add item by identifier' button that is only in Zotero Standalone?

Have you launched Zotero Standalone and set syncing in the preferences and used the real add item by identifier button that is in Zotero Standalone?