Voice reading software

Can I use voice reading software such as PC-Talker, MS Narrator, and JAWS, on zotero? Does zotero provide any support for people with visual impairment? Thank you for your advice in advance.
  • Here is a post with some some links to discussion of Zotero’s accessibility: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/46535/zotero-for-visually-impaired/#Item_2

I’m not sure, but I don’t believe much has changed since those posts. One of the developers might be able to comment more. I know that improving accessibility was a goal when hiring a developer a while back.
  • I looked into it recently with NVDA and made a minor improvement. I haven't tested with JAWS, which might do better, particularly after that change.

As I say in that commit message, there's a possibility that things will improve a bit once we upgrade to a Firefox 60 base in the next couple months. We should generally be as accessible as Firefox itself (though at least for VoiceOver, that's not great). But we may not be able to meaningfully improve things until we're on Electron.

If there are specific areas of Zotero that are hard to navigate, that's also something we'd want to know, and we can see what we can do.
  • bwiernik, dstillman

Thank you for your reply.
  • Using latest version of firefox and Zotero, and the control shift S key does not bring up the zotero item selector anymore. Is there any other way of getting to the item selector with screenreading software using screenreader software? Using Jaws 18, latest zotero and firefox 60
  • I cannot use Zoterro correctly with VoiceOver on MacOS Mojave. Please, change it for the next update!