Bibliography not updating when switching from "First Name Last Name" to "Last Name, First name"

Hi

When I add a citation (APA 6th) with an author's name in Zotero organized with the first name followed by the last name e.g. Alex Peterson, this entry is placed under A in the bibliography.

If I change the order of the name in Zotero to Peterson, Alex and refresh the document, the bibliography changes the order of the names to "Peterson, Alex" but the reference is still listed as if the name started wit an A.

Only when I delete the citation and make a new one, the bibliography reflects the change and now list e.g. Peterson, Alex under P.

Shouldn't the sorting change with the change in the name order?

Regards, Christian
  • You will want to keep the names correct in Zotero, but adapt the citation style for this.
  • It sounds like he what you are doing is correct (you want to store names in Last, First format). Does the sorting appear correct in a new document? What if you click Refresh or switch to a different style and back?
  • Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

I have reproduced the same thing in a couple of test documents.
    Refresh does not change the sorting, but switching to Chicago and back did.

I have copied an example of the initial case below:

Test test test(Bruce Kidd, 1992; Chu, 2017)

Literature

Bruce Kidd. (1992). The Toronto Olympic commitment: Towards a social contract for the Olympic Games. Olympika: The International Journal of Olympic Studies, 1(1), 154–67.
    Chu, M. P. (2017). Extravagance and its decline: China’s triple East Asian Games since the 2000s. Asia Pacific Journal of Sport and Social Science, 6(1), 19–33. https://doi.org/10.1080/21640599.2016.1277083

[Changing the format for Kidd1992 in Zotero from Bruce Kidd to Kidd, Bruce and clicking refresh in the word-document]->

Test test test(Chu, 2017; Kidd, 1992)

Literature

Kidd, B. (1992). The Toronto Olympic commitment: Towards a social contract for the Olympic Games. Olympika: The International Journal of Olympic Studies, 1(1), 154–67.
    Chu, M. P. (2017). Extravagance and its decline: China’s triple East Asian Games since the 2000s. Asia Pacific Journal of Sport and Social Science, 6(1), 19–33. https://doi.org/10.1080/21640599.2016.1277083

• I was able to reproduce some of this in APA 6th:

Created a document with four references, one of which has first author "Bayer, Tobias" (Last, First). "Bayer" is the topmost last name of all four references, so as expected, that citation is listed first in the bibliography.

When I insert the bibliography, the author name reflects how I have it in Zotero, i.e. "Bayer, Tobias" or "Tobias Bayer". However, the position is maintained, i.e. it is always the first entry in my bibliography.
  • Do either of you have a problem with a different style or if you change styles and then switch back?
  • The behavior I described is manifested in other styles. I tested with two other styles, one of which is a numbered style.
    Thus, the name of the first author in the bibliography follows how I have it setup in Zotero, and is unaffected by what the style wants it to be.
  • All personal names must be last, first.

Single fiel entry is mainly for institutions like United Nations
  • I agree, it not that I would like to use single field entry for the names of the author.

The problem is, that if by some mistake a personal name nevertheless ends up as a single field entry, and I correct it in Zotero, this change is not reflected in the position of the reference in the bibliography in my document, cf. the example of gurdas above.

• @gurdas Does it stay if, after changing the name, you switch to another style and back?
  • Okay, I tested this out, and the sorting order does fix itself if you change styles and back again. It similarly doesn't move if I just change the spelling of author names. So it looks like a bug in that the sort-key is not be regenerated when item data changes.

@adomasven @fbennett Is this a bug in citeproc-js or in the recent changes to the integration code?

(As a note, adding a new item to the document does not cause the bibliography to correct the sorting. The new item is added in the correct place, but the changed-item remains in the original, now incorrect, position.)
  • I believe this is handled by citeproc @fbennett?