Snapshot button

The 'take snapshot of current page' button has disappeared in 2.0 beta - can we please have it back? It did serve a useful purpose - in my case, I used it extensively to upload scans into zotero before sorting them out under specific items. The 'create new item from current page' button is not useful for this.
  • I would second that request. I found the take snapshot button to be very useful.
  • By "scans" do you mean files on disk? You don't need the snapshot button to insert files—you can just drag them into Zotero or use Store Copy of File.
  • Dan, thanks. I hadn't thought of the 'store copy' option. What I used to do was open an image in Firefox (useful also to see what image I am uploading), then take a snapshot to store a copy, but the 'store copy' option works fine for this.
  • I would like to join to the request of the snapshot button.

Currently every pdf is opened in firefox at my computer. It is very useful, especially when i receive a paper by email. I double click it in the email client, and then use the snapshot function to add it to the library. Afterwards zotero nicely extracts all the metadata.

Another important function of this magic button is related to the broken translators. Sometimes a translator does not add a paper at all or does not download pdf automatically. In the former case I use evernote citation to create an instance and then snapshot button to catch the abstract page and the pdf file. If pdf was not downloaded automatically then again snapshot button is very useful!

Please bring it back!
  • Now on the trunk and in the next beta build (which should be out later today), dragging a PDF favicon/link into Zotero or clicking "Create New Item from Current Page" while viewing a PDF will create just a top-level PDF attachment with which you can use "Retrieve PDF Metadata". This is likely a temporary solution until "Retrieve PDF Metadata" is further improved and can be run automatically.
    Another important function of this magic button is related to the broken translators. Sometimes a translator does not add a paper at all or does not download pdf automatically. In the former case I use evernote citation to create an instance and then snapshot button to catch the abstract page and the pdf file. If pdf was not downloaded automatically then again snapshot button is very useful!
    In those cases you can just drag the PDF link on top of the parent item to create a child attachment. We may add additional context menu options in the browser window to allow you to save a link as a child attachment of the currently selected item (similar to how you can currently add a text snippet to the currently selected note).
  • Dan, thanks for your prompt response and the helpful comments. I am looking forward for the new version of zotero!
  • Hello. I would like to still add my voice for restoring this button. Sometimes I just need to store copies of many web pages (which would be impossible to drag and drop) so I can later organize them under one reference.

But secondly, for some reason, the Create New Item from Current Page button does not store a copy of the page. It only creates a new record and I then have to right click on the record and chose "Attach Snapshot of Current Page." Why is that?
  • Sometimes I just need to store copies of many web pages (which would be impossible to drag and drop)
    Why would either the "create new item from current page" or drag-and-drop be "impossible?"
    Create New Item from Current Page button does not store a copy of the page...Why is that?
    It is a bug that will be fixed.
  • I just upgraded to v2rc5 and notice there is still no snapshot button.
    What is the timetable of creating the button?
  • mmccoy - re-read Dan Stillman's comment above. There will not be a snapshot button.
  • This thread is where most of the rest of the discussion about the rationale for removing the snapshot and link buttons happened back in May.