New function to allow association of biblio metadata with text quoted from a pdf + subsequent use

Hi folks,
I would like to read a pdf file, select a piece of text and have this text available to use in a word processor or Scrivener, and here's the issue - have the relevant selection's bibliographic/reference data attached to it, wherever I take it, to make subsequent correctly referenced usage in a paper, possible.

That is, when I read a pdf paper or book, and am writing a lit. review for eg., I want to be able to begin assembling my list of discussion points in my paper by assembling various text quotes/selections as I read,

then, once I've collected a set of (possibly hundreds) of "quotes" (whether they are true quotes or just referenced information for my discussion), I want to have the actual biblio metadata attached to each "clipping", so that when I subsequently assemble my paper, I can more easily make up my References section, etc.,

I do not know of any pdf or biblio applications that can currently do this,

thanks

Peter B
Maple Ridge, BC
Canada
  • The web-base wikindx offers quotation management & I suspect other "knowledge management" software might too. Quotes must be copy/pasted or typed manually.

Zotero won't know they are quotes, but you can do the same thing using attached notes. These notes are in some export formats or you could create a report as the starting point for your paper.
  • edited June 5, 2018
    As you read, highlight quotes in the PDF that you want to extract. Then use the Zotfile plugin to extract annotations. This will extract the quotes as a note attached to the item, including the page number and a link to the quote in context.

Later, you can select all your sources and create a Report from the right click menu. This will include the reference data and the list of quotes for each item.