Is there a way to change the name ending in a citation (for Greek names)?

I have gone through the forum for a solution, but I couldn’t find any. As a matter of fact, I wonder whether what I’m asking is feasible.

Names in the Greek language have different cases: Nominative, Genitive and Accusative.
They are formed by putting the ‘stem’ of the name with an ‘ending’. For instance:
Nominative: Bezos (Bez-os)
Accusative: Bezo (Bez-o)

As regards publications, the nominative is used in bibliography, whereas the accusative is used in citations. For instance:
Bibliography: Bezos, Andreas, Title, Journal, ...
Citation: see Bezo, Title, Journal, ...

Is it possible to make a makro that modifies the stem of the author’s name in citations? For instance something like that:
if author-name ends in ‘os’ or ‘as’ or ‘is’, then omit the final ‘s’
  • edited May 28, 2018
    @atsourou While I have no idea about a Zotero implementation, thank you for raising this question. Many times I've encountered what you describe -- a difference between an in-text name and the name in a reference list. At first, this seemed like errors but as I noticed it in article after article and chapter after chapter, my annoyance transitioned to increasing puzzlement. I couldn't find "why" in name authority guides, library guides for indexing(RDA; AACR2 (22)), etc. I knew that, because of the regularity of the pattern, there was a reason for the name changes but you have helped me to understand why.

In practice, doing an author search in an index, is frustrated because both name forms appear in the index. Finding all publications in a database using an author name search requires using only the stem plus a wildcard character. More importantly, it requires that the searcher know beforehand to perform that search entry. As the curator of an online bibliographic database I am led to wonder about the best way to facilitate a searcher's ability to achieve a comprehensive result. I have a few authors who have alternate name spellings and I've set up a synonym system to automatically return articles listed under both spellings. The question you raise, however, could affect umpteen authors and could make searching more frustrating and engine development too complex. For example, I'm working on improving our system that handles decorated characters (accents) as well as situations such as German names with umlauts correctly available when the search is performed not only with or without the umlaut but also with the 2-character equivalent spelling. This is a large and thorny issue.
  • edited May 30, 2018
    @fbennett Is there any hope to resolve @atsourou 's problem by using juris-m? I'm bumping this in case my long comment hijacked this thread.