Sync Errors: Report #1414706468

I keep getting a synchronization error. I checked my WebDav source, and the first item does exist. Do you have any recommendations for me to try to in order to resolve the error?
  • Generally this is due to security software on your system interfering with Zotero's ability to save a file to disk. You can try temporarily disabling any security software and syncing again.

If you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a sync attempt that produces the error we might be able to tell you more.
  • The only security software running on my computer is Windows Defender. I disabled it, but the same error occurred. The Debug ID = D280496307. Please let me know if there is anything else I should try. Thanks for your help.
  • (3)(+0000004): Saving https://********@********/dav/zotero/U9B8XA8W.zip

[…]

(3)(+0040714): onStateChange with 327681

(3)(+0000000): Starting request

(3)(+0000000): onStateChange with 327696

(3)(+0000002): Request ended with status code 200

(3)(+0000000): Finished download of C:\Users\********\Zotero\tmp\U9B8XA8W.tmp

(3)(+0000000): C:\Users\********\Zotero\tmp\U9B8XA8W.tmp

(1)(+0000002): Download request 1/U9B8XA8W failed

[…]

(1)(+0000000): Error: Downloaded ZIP file not found for item 1/U9B8XA8W
    So basically something is causing the downloaded ZIP file not to exist when Zotero checks for it. That could mean that the download is failing or being interrupted — though Zotero thinks it's getting a success code (200) from the WebDAV server — or that something is deleting the file or making it inaccessible after it's downloaded. I'm afraid I can't tell you more than that. You can try a different WebDAV server, a different network, or a different computer to see if any of those make a difference.
  • Is there an easy way for me to see the offending recordsets from within the Zotero interface? I'd like to inspect the records to see if there is an easy fix or if I can just delete them.

Previously, I was having a lot of sync errors whereby an attachment would appear to be present locally, but it was actually stored on the server only. Asking Zotero to check for all attachments had no effect.

With the latest Zotero release, after synchronizing all server data to a new local instance, that problem seems to be fixed, but then, this new sync problem popped up.

Ideally, I 'd like to understand which recordsets are affected before moving to a new WebDAV server (which I was planning to do anyway), so as not to leave behind any important records. If there's no easy way to identify the affected recordsets from within the normal Zotero interface, I am proficient with SQL and don't mind making a read-only connection to the SQLite DB. However, I'd prefer to avoid going to that level, if possible.

As always, thank you for your really prompt replies.
  • Ideally, I 'd like to understand which recordsets are affected before moving to a new WebDAV server (which I was planning to do anyway), so as not to leave behind any important records.
    You wouldn't leave anything behind. What you'd want to do is just transfer the 'zotero' directory from the old WebDAV server to the new one.

You can see the items involved from the debug log — look for the lines with "Downloaded ZIP file not found for item" and paste the 8-character key (e.g., "U9B8XA8W") into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode — but there's no guarantee that it won't just happen to other files.
  • FWIW, your assessment was correct. There was some problem with my WebDav storage, wherein it would indicate that a file was available. It would even show file properties such as size, creation and modification dates, etc. However, when I would attempt to retrieve the file, it would just time out.

My WebDav is hosted with GoDaddy. When I originally set it up (probably a decade ago), Zotero didn't offer file storage. I called GoDaddy, and they had to escalate my ticket. After a week, they called me back and said they'd have to do something on the backend to refresh my content. After nearly three weeks of letting Zotero attempt to synchronize with no errors, as of this morning, the sync finally completed with no errors.

The tech couldn't really explain to me in detail the source of the problem or what was being done to fix it. However, he did tell me that GoDaddy no longer actively supports WebDav, and that I should move my files to another service, since they will be discontinuing this service in the near future.

If I want to move my files from GoDaddy to the Zotero WebDav storage, is there a guide for doing so? Alternatively, could I simply move my zotero directory to my Google drive?

Please let me know your recommendation, and thanks again for the great tech support for a wonderful software product.

• edited June 19, 2018
    Definitely do not move your Zotero folder to Google Drive! It is not safe to store a database file in a cloud sync folder while it is being accessed (with WebDAV, Zotero is managing the sync, not another cloud sync application).

IF you want to move to Zotero storage, just switch to that option in the Zotero sync settings. Zotero will migrate the files and upload them to the Zotero servers automatically.
  • ...It is not safe to store a database file in a cloud sync folder while it is being accessed...
    That's a really good point and makes perfect sense.
    ...IF you want to move to Zotero storage, just switch to that option in the Zotero sync settings. Zotero will migrate the files and upload them to the Zotero servers automatically.
    Thank you for the clear and helpful response!