Using multiple profiles on Zotero Standalone 5

I use zotero standalone and I want to divided my library since I am doing research on a different topic from what I did in my Phd. I am not very clear with the multiple profile features. I would like to create a new profile and move only the part of the data related to the new research from the old profile to the new one. Is it possible? Could I keep syncing both profiles?

Thanks
  • Just to make sure you've seen this:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/multiple_profiles

If you'd like to sync separate profiles, you'd need separate accounts. It's all possible, but it's quite the hassle. Are you sure it's not going to be easier to just handle this with collections or with groups?
  • Thank you very much for your answer adamsmith. Well, I tried with creating groups but I sync my pdf with "attach link to file", and for what I read I can't do that with groups so I am considering getting a new profile.

I would like to keep both profile and its links updated across devices if possible, so if one system crash I will still have my info in another place. I do research in law so I depend 100% on reports, pdf...ect

One additional question, so each profile is a separate account, so diifferent username a.k.a. different email address, right?
  • One additional question, so each profile is a separate account, so diifferent username a.k.a. different email address, right?
    Yes, that's right. You'd need a second username and you can't have multiple usernames using the same e-mail address.
  • If your mail system will handle it correctly, you can put an extension marker on an existing mail address, like myname+zotero2@mailemcom
  • Ok. Now, how I go about moving info from one profile to another. So moving the data from the old profile to the new one. I should create the new profile and then create a new data directory, move my files there and so zotero will pull them from that location automatically, right?
  • You'd have to export to Zotero RDF and import into the new database. Note that in the new database you'll lose the original Date Added/Modified dates as well as links to citations in documents.

I'd still echo adamsmith here that this isn't really recommended, and simply using collections is much easier. If you want to use these at the same time, also note the limitations on the Multiple Instances page.
  • I see. Then I won't do it. I will try to manage with collections and groups. I haven't think about citations links to documents. Thank you very much for the guidance