Can't manually install Word plugin

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero is not responding.
  • I am having problems manually installing zotero so I am able to use the feature in my microsoft word documents. The instructions below indicate a link, which does not actually open into a folder when I type it into my website. Please help!!!!

Word for Windows
    Open the Zotero installation folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero).
    In the installation folder, open extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/install, where you you can find a copy of the file Zotero.dotm (for Word for Windows 2007 and higher) or Zotero.dot (for older versions of Word).
    Find your Word startup folder using the instructions below. You should now have two folders open: the Word startup folder and the “install” folder containing Zotero.dotm.
    Copy the Zotero.dotm file to your Word Startup folder. (Be sure to copy the file rather than moving it.)
    Start (or restart) Microsoft Word to begin using the plugin.
  • Let's step back. What exactly is the problem you're experiencing, exactly what are you trying, and exactly what is happening?
  • Hi,

thanks for responding. I have installed Zotero Standalone. That worked fine. However, the zotero plugin for word is not working and I have followed all of the instructions for changing settings in standalone to see if that would change the visibility of the word plugin - NO dice. So then I resorted to the manual install, the link for which doesn't actually work. Please Help!!!
  • Sorry, but that doesn't provide us with any more information to let us help you. You have to say what you mean by "not working", you have to say what "settings" you're referring to, you have to say what "link" you're referring to.

See Steps to Reproduce for the kind of details we need.
  • So none of the plugin features appear on my word documents. I am unable to utilize the embedded referencing features or create a bibliography or any of the functions Zotero used to offer in word.

re: the link I spoke of. In the manual instructions I posted above the link I am referring to is this one: (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero).
  • edited May 20, 2018
    That’s not a link, but let’s go back to the beginning. Start here: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_toolbar_doesn_t_appear

Follow each line, step by step. Write down here each thing that you tried. If something doesn't work, or you don't understand it, quote it here, and explain exactly what went wrong.
  • As mentioned, I have already followed all of these steps available on the zotero website including the instructions you've just sent regarding troubleshooting the toolbar and it still does not appear as a plugin on my word documents. None of the troubleshooting steps on your website have worked for me, which led me to the manual option. However, the file extension included under the instructions for the manual installation does not work. Perhaps that is an issue you can resolve and get back to me.

This extension does not work: (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero).
  • We help many people a day here and can generally do so quite efficiently, but only when people follow the instructions we provide and provide the information we ask for. If you’re unwilling to do that and are just going to keep saying things “don’t work”, I’m afraid you’ll have to get help somewhere else.
  • Hello. The link for the manual install does not open. It does not lead to a download. It does not do anything. Is that clearer of what I mean when I say it does not work? When I put the link below into the address bar for the internet it simply leads back to a search page on google. Nothing downloads, it does not lead to anything.

Have you tried opening this manual link yourself to see the issues?

I think I've been quite clear throughout my correspondence thus far and pay good money to keep an active zotero account so I would hope at the very least a phone-in option or someone willing to ask specific questions if they are unsure of what I've said now repeatedly would be possible here to get to the bottom of the challenges I am having.

This manual weblink does not work: (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero).
  • I think this is simply a misunderstanding: C:\Program Files (x86) isn't a weblink. It's a local file path on your System, i.e. open Windows File Explorer, click on the C: drive, then on the Program Files (x86) folder, etc.
    Note that some folders in this path may be hidden, so enable "Show Hidden Files" in the Windows explorer.
  • Thank you Adam for clarifying. After some troubleshooting it seems zotero has now been added as a start-up to word.

Appreciate it.

C.