Lost note?

I just lost a note that I had been working on for a day. I've been trying to follow the advice I could find here on how to recreate it, but to no avail. Hence, I'm posting this just in order to try to find out what went wrong, so as to hopefully avoid the problem again.

I'm using Zotero (5.0.47) on two computers (Macs) syncing automatically. The note that disappeared was a child note of an item that also has a PDF attachment. I was editing the note in a separate window (not the right-hand pane), also pasting snippets of text from the PDF attachment and adding highlights to the PDF text. It all seemed fine yesterday, but today, the note is empty. It has also synced empty to the online library.

Is there some way to prevent this from happening again?
  • edited May 16, 2018
    If you're not using Time Machine, you can check the last automatic backup to see if it's there.

But if you email support@zotero.org with a link to this thread and some text that would be in the note, we can see if we can locate it.
  • You should also right-click on the note and choose Source Code to make sure it's actually empty and something you pasted in didn't just throw off the rendering.
  • Many thanks! Unfortunately, I don't have Time Machine (yes, I know I should…) and the wasn't in the last automatic backups, nor in the source code. But I've sent an e-mail as per your instructions. I'm very grateful for your help!