Translators doesn't work on some websites when using newer version of connectors

edited January 4, 2018
Pages of articles on geoscienceworld.org can't be correctly translated and can be saved as webpage when using newer version of zotero-connector for both firefox and chrome. But they can both work well on most of other sites.

Here's what I got from firefox -> zotero-connector -> preference -> advanced -> report error:

Report id: 1536924076
```
[JavaScript Error: "Frame not found, or missing host permission" {file: "undefined"}]

[JavaScript Error: "Inject: Timed out 0 - https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/ssa/srl/article-abstract/87/4/930/314131 after undefined
Zotero.Connector_Browser</this.injectScripts/timeout<@moz-extension://22082bfa-fc89-4392-bf16-def88ec10d3e/background.js:334:20
"]
```

Tested versions of zotero-connector are:
* firefox
5.0.22: good
5.0.25: bad
5.0.31: bad
* chrome
5.0.25: good
5.0.31: bad
  • We were looking for some Debug IDs about a month ago from people with similar problems, but didn't get a response. If you could produce a Debug ID from Firefox with 5.0.31 and 5.0.24 for reloading a page that consistently doesn't work and paste them here, then we can see what's up, although in general, it might be worth running through https://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues first
  • I had viewed the "Troubleshooting translator issues" page before i created this thread. My version of Zotero for Windows is 5.0.33 and connectors for firefox 57 and chrome are both 5.0.31. And I tried the "Update Translators" and "Reset Translators" button in the preference page of connectors but they didn't work.

ALL of the articles on the journal Seismological Research Letter and Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America on geoscienceworld.org can only be saved as Web Page, with or without Snapshot.

Besides the Debug ID i mentioned above (ID: 1536924076), I produced another Debug ID: 482978338. The error message is:
    ```
    [JavaScript Error: "Inject: Timed out 0 - https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/ssa/srl/article-abstract/87/4/930/314131 after undefined
    Zotero.Connector_Browser</this.injectScripts/timeout<@moz-extension://22082bfa-fc89-4392-bf16-def88ec10d3e/background.js:334:20
    "]

[JavaScript Error: "Frame not found, or missing host permission" {file: "undefined"}]

[JavaScript Error: "Inject: Timed out 0 - https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/ssa/bssa/article-standard/91/5/1199/102918/effect-of-baseline-corrections-on-displacements after undefined
    "]

```
    Zotero-connector 5.0.31 (firefox) doesn't work well consistantly on the two links above. But they can be translated correctly in version 5.0.22.
  • edited January 4, 2018
    Does chrome work? Is there any specific order of actions you take before it breaks, or is it sporadic? See here for Debug ID instructions (different than Report ID).
  • Sorry for mistaking those IDs. I tried it again and the Debug ID is D1211216352.
    It's not sporadic and no specific order is needed to reproduce it. Just open the page and the zotero-connect show a web page icon while it should be a article or paper icon.
    I have tested on chrome as I mentioned above, connector 5.0.25 translates it correctly and 5.0.31 breaks.
  • This is a Debug ID from Zotero. Please produce one from the Firefox Connector 5.0.31 and then 5.0.24 (instructions in the link).
  • So i got it wrong again... I only have firefox connector 5.0.31 now, and the Debug ID is D1837215614.
  • Thanks, this looks right. Could you remove the Connector from Firefox, install the version 5.0.24, then navigate to about:addons click "More" for Zotero Connector, select Off for Automatic Updates, then submit another Debug ID for the same sequence where the load is successful?
  • Got it: D447921986.
  • edited January 11, 2018
    @i_am_timer Could you follow the following steps:
    1. Download this debug version of the connector
    2. Extract the archive somewhere
    3. In firefox navigate to about:debugging. Tick Enable add-on debugging
    4. Click "Load Temporary Add-on" and locate the manifest.json file from the archive you have extracted.

This will replace the current version of the connector you're using with the debug version. Navigate to https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/ssa/srl/article-abstract/87/4/930/314131 and see if it works now.
  • @adomasven I loaded the debug version and it works right now! Thanks for your efforts.
  • You can now alternatively install the Beta release of the Connector. The fix should make it into the stable release soon.
  • Hallo everyone,

I had similar error message as described by i_am_timer (my Report ID: 486812821)

Zotero (version 5.0.47 standalone) could not retrieve metadata (both, if article was downloaded from webpage or drag-and-droped dirrectly in zotero). It just showed "processing" pop-up and nothing else happened. Updated firefox (version 60.0), restarted translator, disabled other ad-ons and nothing helped.

Finally I tried the suggestion of @adomasven with loading temporary Add-on and it seams to do the trick. Thank you!
    Looking forward to a stable release.
  • edited May 15, 2018
    This is a very old issue and definitely fixed in the latest version of the connector. You should make sure that you are running the latest version of the Zotero Connector in Firefox (currently 5.0.39).