File update impossible

Hello,

When I try to insert a new reference in a field of others, I got an error with a total crash of Word:

"Zotero a rencontré une erreur lors de la mise à jour de votre document.
Le serveur a généré une exception.
[setText:fields.cpp]"

This is perfectly reproductible and not dedicated to one reference.

I am a little bit desperate I spent several days to solve this problem I tried everything you proposed about this error. The problem apparently does not come from a particular file. Even if I scan the file without OCR and add it in Zotero after the suppression of the old one and then try to add this reference it crash anyway.

And I just cannot suppress every references apparently "broken" because even with other new references I will have the same issue, not immediately but maybe after adding of for example 10 other references.

Sometimes, it is random but when I refresh the references, I have another error (without crash of Word this time):

"Zotero a rencontré une erreur lors de la mise à jour de votre document.
CSL error
TypeError: this.registry.citationreg.citationByld[c[0]] is undefined
citationID=KATsGQoc
noteIndex=0
at array citationsPost index 73, from citation at document position 0"

When I have this last error, the "citationID" change sometimes but I just kept this one for now...

I hope there is a solution...

Best regards,

Xavier
  • What version of Word? You should begin by making sure you have the latest version.
  • Thanks for the answer.

Okay I just uninstalled word and zotero, then did a full update of Windows 10, full cleaning of SSD + Adwc****er + Malw*****tes + Ccl***er, and then re-installed the last version of Word and finally the last version of Zotero.

I have the same problem with a slightly different error:

"Echec de l'appel de procédure distante.
    [setText:fields.cpp]"

I just understood that there is probably a bug with the refreshing of the rest of the document. An example:

Considering that I have many references before and after the line #k (arbitrary chosen). If I put my reference at this line #k, this one will be inserted successfully without Word crash. However, if I put the same reference at the line #(k-i), even it this reference is not inserted at the line #k, Word will crash. Excepted if I insert this reference inside another few fields of references in which it does not crash, (seems random but there is problably a rational explanation).

This happens if the reference is already inserted somewhere or if it is a new reference.
  • We are aware of the Word crashing, but cannot reproduce it reliably. Are you saying that you can reproduce it reliably and consistently with some document? If so, could you store an intact copy of this document for the time being?

Could you list your current revision of Windows 10 and Word?

As a separate thing could you:
    1. Click on Start
    2. Type Event Viewer.
    3. Run Event Viewer
    5. In Windows Logs -> Applications find a few (at least 2) of these Word crash logs
    6. Copy the information from the General pane for these events and send it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • Yes I can. It clearly does not depend of the document it depends of the order in which I insert the reference. Because it is reproductible reliably with one document until I find a way to insert the reference at the right position in my file, then I no longer have problem... until the next problem.

Where should I store an intact copy of this document? Just in my library? If so, there is one.

-Microsoft Word: 2016 MSO (16.0.9226.2126) 32 bits
    -Windows 10 Famille: version 1803; OS version 17134.48

I'll send the Windows Logs by email.

Thanks
  • Please:

1. Detail the steps that reliably produce this crash in the document
    2. Export the citations that need to be inserted into the document from Zotero as Zotero RDF
    3. Email the steps, the document and the exported citations to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread

If you can produce the crash from an empty document, that is even better and you can only email us the exported citations and the steps.