Index not defined error

edited May 5, 2018
Hi,

I have made a report (1628801746) relating to an error when editing a citation reported as: idx is not defined.

I also get an error when inserting a new citation, even thought I am not editing a highlighted citation: The higlighted citation no longer exists in your Zotero databse. Do you want to select a substitute item?

This is in a document with a large number of citations (no bibliography generated yet), I realise I have been adding citations across a Mac and a PC where the stored zotero data is not consistent across machines. This had not been a problem until a recent update (5.0.35.1)?

Edit: The problem exists only on my PC (Windows 10, Office 365) and not on my Mac (gen 4.0.23).

Edit: When trying to solve the problem by agreeing to substitute an item it produces a list of my citations stored in Zotero but does not suggest which is missing, if I choose one at random it crashes and shows the loading bar with no change.

Edit: I have found one citation at fault but not sure why it produced the error, have deleted it and re-stored it from Scholar. New error: CSL error, registry.citationreg.citationByID is undefined

Edit: I have reinstalled Zotero and it's plugin on my PC and the problem seems to exist within the document itself, copying and pasting the document content and even retyping the problem part of it does not solve this issue.
  • Which exact Zotero version are you using?
  • Stated in post above, 5.0.35.1
  • oh, I thought that was just the version with which it started. Update to the most recent version of Zotero, then 5.0.47
  • Thank you for the advice :) I had checked for updates and it showed none available.

I have downloaded 5.0.47 and installed, the same issue is happening.
  • Can we have a new Report ID?

This is a report for a separate document experiencing the same issue with the latest install of Zotero 5.0.47. Thanks for your help!
  • No such error is logged in the ID you posted above. Make sure you trigger the error before submitting the Report ID.
  • [JavaScript Error: "idx is not defined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 2466}]"
    The original Report ID was actually from 5.0.47 — not 5.0.35.1 — and includes the error.
  • I'm not sure what that means, when I when to Zotero's About section it reported that generation (5.0.35.1). The original report contains the same issue as the second one, it is the same indexing error across documents.
  • All I can tell you is that the original report you submitted (1628801746) was from Zotero 5.0.47.

In any case, can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for reproducing the error?
  • edited May 7, 2018
    Aologise it's the first time I've submitted errors, was pressing the wrong kind. This was while trying to edit a citation already in the document.

Debug output: D897821177
  • edited May 9, 2018
    Ok, so it seems that you are editing a fairly old document where cited item data is not embedded within the doc. We will have a fix for the error you are seeing, which should allow to repick the citation (although you will still have the issue of not knowing which item is actually missing). It is best if you resolve the error by reinserting the citation at fault and the up-to-date version of Zotero should not cause the "CSL error, registry.citationreg.citationByID is undefined" error either.

It is also advised to update Zotero to the latest version on all machines that you use to work with this document.