Error: 0x8007000e Out of memory (PC has lots of RAM)

I'm getting:
Component returned failure code: 0x8007000e (NS_ERROR_OUT_OF_MEMORY) [nsILocalFile.create]).

This is odd because I have 16GB of RAM. Win 10, Windows reports using 17% of memory when running Zotero only.

Error seen on sync with remote library: library contains 3242 items total, 113 to be downloaded, from WebDAV server

Debug log: D1516299216

Grateful for any suggestions.
  • that's not a ram error but a hardisk out of memory -- might be your partition is full or something along those lines.
  • All partitions have more than 50% free space.
  • apologies, I had the errors turned around. This is indeed a system memory error, but equally mysterious given the specs you describe above.
    We've seen this once before on sync https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/42643/cant-load-files-from-firefox-to-standalone-report-id-1168671535 but no solution on this either.

Is this reproducible, i.e. recurs after Zotero restart and syncing? System restart and syncing?
  • edited April 30, 2018
    Thanks, @adamsmith . Yep, Disk Full is 0x8052000A.

The error is reproducible across: a) restarts of Zotero b) rebooting of the system c) resetting the sync history.

My next step is to restore from the server, since the logs suggest the uploads are in sync on that installation/machine and it is only the downloads which are not.
  • no, don't do restore from server, if anything that would need more memory. Let's see what @dstillman says.
  • edited May 1, 2018
    Start by upgrading to the latest version of Zotero, currently 5.0.46. You're still on an older version.

Assuming that doesn't help, it looks like a problem with the files from a specific attachment. You can paste RLFNHE59 into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode to see the attachment in question.

If you don't need that attachment, you can just delete it and empty the trash. If you're curious, you can download RLFNHE59.zip from your WebDAV server and try to open that manually. I'd guess that security software on your system is unhappy with one of the webpage snapshot files in there (con.asc, it looks like), and it's manifesting in this somewhat misleading way.
  • If this is Windows, I vaguely recall windows really, really disliking file names (with or without extension) "CON", "PRN", "AUX", "NUL" and a few others.
  • Thanks very much! As you advised, con.asc was in a snapshot from a web page. After deleting the snapshot, the library synced.

This issue is now resolved for me. I don't need a snapshot of that page.

Out of curiosity, I went to the page (using the Windows machine) and tried to reproduce the problem by adding the page to Zotero again. The Webpage With Snapshot translator reported an error ('An error occurred while saving this item' - the expected behaviour, since Windows was preventing it from saving the snapshot). So this problem should only arise in a rare combination of circumstances (using a forbidden file name + multiple Zotero installs, one of which can handle the filename and one of which can't).

I did notice a small, harmless bug. Although the translator reported failure, Zotero created the webpage item, just not the snapshot. The new item appeared initially in Zotero with an arrow next to it, as if an attachment were present, but nothing happened when the arrow was clicked - harmless, but maybe not your expected behaviour when a translator fails to add an attachment? On Zotero restart, the item appears correctly, without an arrow (as it has no attachments). Purely for your interest, I've uploaded the log as D1995905775.