HELP - Word Doc Formatting Restrictions

Zotero would not superscript or italicize if I put a protection on the word document to restrict formatting, which is a function that limits the style formatting to a selection of premade styles (Home -> Styles). I MUST use this function.

Superscripting and italicizing manually one by one may be a manageable task. But a huge nuisance and a major time-waster happens if I were to edit a citation, and then hit refresh.

For example, I have 1000 references in a document, and I have superscripted each citation by manually selecting one of the premade styles each time I enter a reference. If I were to delete, let's say, "2", since I decided that I no longer needed the 2nd reference, and then hit Refresh, "1" would stay superscripted, but the rest from 2-999 would update to change their orders accordingly, and also change back to normal non-superscripted font. I then need to manually go through line by line to search for in-text citations to superscript them, which not only requires many hours of work, but also is a risk to miss some in-text citations.

I tried multiple ways to solve this issue with no avail, but I have learned the following:

1) Within a protected word document that restricts formatting, Zotero's in-text citation follows the paragraph's style. For example, if the entire paragraph is formatted to be superscripted, Zotero's in-text citation is superscripted even if I hit refresh

2) Macro might be a solution, but I am not sure how macro would be able to figure out which in-text citations it needs to superscript.

I feel that a person with both MS Word and Zotero expertise may be able to grasp the issue I've been struggling with for 9 months.

If anyone could help me solve this problem, you would be my lifesaver!

Thank you!
  • edited April 24, 2018
    You should control formatting of citations by adjusting the Zotero/CSL style, rather than trying to manually modify all of the citations in Word. What style are you using and what exact formatting are you looking for?

(In general, I recommend not spending hours or longer trying to solve an issue with Zotero before asking for help. Most issues with Zotero can be solved very quickly, and it usually means that you aren't using the best method if something takes longer.)
  • I am sorry, but I am afraid there is nothing automated that will work for you. Zotero citation formatting is produced by inserting RTF text into the document, which has hard-coded formatting for sections of citations and bibliography as defined by the citation style. It could not technically be any other way, since many citation styles have mixed formatting for citations (e.g. Chicago full note, which italicises the publication title but everything else is non-italicised).
    For example, I have 1000 references in a document, and I have superscripted each citation by manually selecting one of the premade styles each time I enter a reference. If I were to delete, let's say, "2", since I decided that I no longer needed the 2nd reference, and then hit Refresh, "1" would stay superscripted, but the rest from 2-999 would update to change their orders accordingly, and also change back to normal non-superscripted font. I then need to manually go through line by line to search for in-text citations to superscript them, which not only requires many hours of work, but also is a risk to miss some in-text citations.
    When you hit refresh Zotero checks every citation and updates the text of those that need updating. Since the "1" doesn't need to change, it isn't touched, but every other citation in the document will need a text update (to decrease the number), which, Zotero failing to set the styling, will fallback to the paragraph style.

Your best bet is to do citation styling at the end of your writing. If you know a little bit of macro coding, you could code this by iterating over every text field in the document and changing the styling of those that begin with ADDIN ZOTERO_ITEM CSL_CITATION.
  • edited April 25, 2018
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

I will try the macro coding with addin zotero_item CSL_citation

Thanks.
  • @ThinkResearch But, again, I'm not following why you are trying to manually set the formatting in Word, rather than setting using CSL. What exactly is the formatting your are trying to get?
  • @bwiernik If I "unprotect" the Word document, then I don't need to manually set the formatting, since Zotero/CSL style works perfectly well in unprotected/unlocked Word document (AMA style - automatically superscripts in-text citations, italicizes journal articles in bibliographies, etc).

The issue only occurs when I "Restrict Editing" in Word document so that the document can only be edited in certain styles. I have to this function.

When Word doc is locked and restricted for editing, then Zotero adds non-superscripted in-text citations, and non-italicized journal articles. In this case, it's up to me to do the citation styling manually at the end, superscript all the in-text citations and italicize journal articles manually.
  • Okay, so here is the behavior I am seeing:

If I insert some citations into a document using Zotero with Nature style (also superscripted), then restrict styles as you describe, the superscripts change to regular text. However, you can easily get the correct formatting back (the restriction doesn't actually interfere with Zotero's RTF formatting functions at all in my tests).

One option is to first restrict the styles before inserting Zotero citations. Any citations inserted after Zotero have the correct superscript formatting.

A second option is to switch your style to a different style, such as IEEE, then back to the original superscript style. The superscripting will be correct when the style is changed back.

You will want to ensure that the Word Bibliography style is included in your list of enabled styles.
  • If that doesn't work for you, could you share a copy of a document you are working with with the styles restricted and I can see if I can get it to work?
  • edited April 27, 2018
    Thanks so much. Really appreciate your offer to help.

Yup, I will share a copy of a restricted document. You will be able to view and download the type of a document that I'm working with that's protected for style formatting: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgzwvo0ohdgxyom/Style-Restricted-Document.docx?dl=0

In this document, in-text citation superscript won't work (AMA or Nature). Please let me know if you find it to be otherwise.

Thanks