Zotero with Firefox got worse; at least improve the workflow with an autostart function from FF

I for one don't think the standalone is an improvement since it lengthens the time required to save a reference compared to the old zotero residing within Firefox.

The sync to zotero.org doesn't significantly improve things either because it ignores the last used folder - something to be improved - and just chucks the reference somewhere in the database.

To recover some of the lost work efficiency, introduce an autostart function from within the browser. If zotero is closed, as it will be on the start of any work session, clicking the connector in Firefox should automatically launch the program. Zotero should also start in the background to not obstruct work in the browser. Both should be customizable in the preferences.

At least, like this we can get some of the lost time back. Efficient reference storage is why I went for zotero in the first place. Endnote was already doing the same in a separate window but zotero was unique in that you didn't need the clutter of a 2nd window. Ah, well. Gone are the days. Hopefully, we can speed up again with the above suggestions.
  • My understanding is that it is not possible to launch external applications from a Firefox add-on, so that's unfortunately not a viable option. You can, obviously, just add Zotero to your system's autostart.
  • @suckale: How does it lengthen the time? It's all on your computer. As long as you have Zotero open, saving should be basically the same speed.