Undo in snapshots highlighting

I have recently discovered the Zotero feature which allows note-taking and highlighting within a page snapshot. However, from a first impression I have found the highlight option quite unusable for it does not play well with the entire browser environment (clipboard, undo, etc). If accidentally one selects and highlights all the text in the document, all the previous selections highlights are irreversibly lost for there is not way to undo a singe action and one is forced to restart highlight from the beginning (which normally piss off users..)

Beside reporting this major usability issue, I was wandering if is there any way around to solve this kind of accidents and continue use this feature which, if properly working, would be very cool
  • @and: the highlight feature is very new, and I've run into some problems with it, too. I think the thing at this point is to let the developers know that the feature is really useful (as you've done).

For my two bits, I'm not sure that an undo feature would be necessary? It might be enough to limit highlighting to the scope of a single paragraph, so we can't make really big boo-boos like highlighting the whole document (I've done that too). Restricted highlighting and unrestricted un-highlighting might be a simple way to get things friendly.

(just an ordinary user responding here, not a member of the crew)
  • @and: Turns out that there is a small bug in the highlighting code that can trigger spontaneous highlighting of large blocks of text. I've pinned down the sucker, and I imagine it will be fixed in Zotero soon.

Hope this helps.
  • I'd find an undo option for highlighting very useful too.
  • I love Zotero and I love highlighting, but it 100% needs to have an undo button. The unhighlight button just doesn't cut it: as user And pointed out above, if you accidentally highlight half of a document (as I did yesterday) any previous highlights covering that part of the document are lost, which can be quite distressing. Hopefully this feature can be implemented into a future version.

Thanks for the awesome program.
  • also, when you highlight a section, those sections should be translated/converted to a note. that way, i could have a very large document, and to review my highlights, i could just look at the 'notes' section.

BUT, whatever upgrades are made, it is fairly unuseable if you cant delete your highlights
  • This is an old chain, but I'm wondering if anything was ever done about this. I'm finding the highlight feature unbelievably clumsy; it frequently grabs and highlights the whole page and then cannot be undone. I have had to rehighlight the same page three times now, and there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to avoid this or to be more efficient about it.
  • ...and it happened for the fourth time. I'm going to switch to copying and pasting into a word document, meaning the highlight feature is pretty much useless.
  • Highlighting hasn't been updated in years and is no longer supported. We don't recommend using it.

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/22330/highlight-text-on-webpages-before-saving-to-zotero/#Item_2