Can I save with zotero plugin only (without having zotero running)?

Hi,

Is it possible to save web pages etc , without having zotero running (only with browser plugin).
If not, is this functionality planned?

Tx
  • Yes you can, just try it out. There are some limitations -- most notably that you currently cannot select a collections items are saved to, that file attachments are only possible to Zotero File Storage, and that import, especially of attached files, isn't as good as with Zotero open (I don't think you'll be able to add gated PDFs to the server even if you have access), but with that said, the basics work nicely.
  • edited April 17, 2018
    I am asking this because I was never able to do that.

I tried again, but nothing happens when i click the button, or when I use the menu to save to zotero (both with or without snapshot)
    I am using the chrome connector, zotero desktop is not installed.
    I reauthorized my connection with zotero.org

The logs show this:
    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: Cannot read property '760' of undefined
    at Object.injectScripts (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js:330:45)
    at chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js:269:36"]

My settings:
    ----------
    Zotero Status
    Zotero is currently unavailable. If Zotero is open, see the troubleshooting page.

Update Status

Save to Zotero.org
    Zotero Connector will save items to zotero.org as when Zotero is not open.

Reauthorize Clear Credentials

[x] Automatically take snapshots when saving items
    [ ] Automatically download associated PDFs and other files when saving items
    ----------
  • edited April 17, 2018
    We'd want a Report ID from the Connector to start.
  • here it is : 1832649579
    thank you
  • Try restarting Chrome and temporarily disabling all your other Chrome extensions.
  • Chrome/66.0.3359.81
    Actually, wait — this is the Chrome beta, it looks like. Have you tested on the current release version?
  • (Though 66 Beta works fine saving to zotero.org for me.)
  • Yes same thing on current chrome release Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Next thing to try would be with all other extensions disabled.
  • edited April 23, 2018
    If all plugins are disabled i can sometimes save.
    It says "saving to zotero.org" indefinately
    or it says "saving to zotero, X snapshot (in red)", so snapshots are not saved, only links.

i sent the logs: 761503642

[error output removed — D.S.]
  • @dstillman -- not sure that page is relevant for saving to the server?
  • Oh, no, it's not — I forgot the original request here (and @p47894 mentioned "Saving to Zotero", which would be with Zotero open, but maybe they meant "zotero.org" there as well).

@p47894, can we see a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a save attempt with all extensions disabled?
  • I do not have zotero installed, because i want to know if you can save to zotero.org (or 3d party storage) directly, without having zotero desktop open.
    I know i need to be logged in into zotero.org of course

• @p47894, can we see a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a save attempt with all extensions disabled?
    that's the relevant part then.
  • debug report D248553464
    chrome with all extensions off
  • And what's happening, exactly? Based on that debug output, you should be getting a popup window with a zotero.org page to create a key for the connector, but that's the end of the output, so I'm not clear on what's happening after that.
  • Nothing happens, as the key for the connector is already installed, and I am already connected (logged in).
    I get a a little messagebox "saving ... and then a red cross next to snapshot" so the snapshot is never saved.

But all this is not new, I am trying to use zotero for years, and this is holding me back. I never succeeded in succesfully saving whole pages (with snapshots) to zotero.org (unless the zotero desktop app is active).

I do not want the zotero app to be active, just for saving pages, and this because of resource use.
  • I'm a bit confused here. Is your only question whether you can save snapshots? I thought you were having other problems saving?

Various parts of saving won't work as well when you're saving to zotero.org. That's why we say saving to the desktop app is preferred. You can save snapshots of the current page (e.g., if you try to save this page), but it'll just include the HTML without auxiliary files. You can't save snapshots that require additional requests (e.g., from a search results page). You can save some attached PDFs, but you can't save PDFs directly when viewing them. Probably some other things.

Some of these we might be able to improve in the future and some are just technical limitations. Either way, at least currently, Zotero is really meant to be used with the desktop app open whenever possible, and you're not going to get nearly as good an experience with it closed.