problem in the document when changing styles

Hi ~ I am having a recurrent problem. whenever I change to a different style, I end up with two sets of references in the document. This occurs even if I delete the previous bibliography. There must be a simple solution.....
  • If you place the cursor in one of the citations from either bibliography and click the Add/Edd Citation button, does the Edit Citation window pop up correctly for the citation from both bibliography?
  • nope, only the one.....
  • no matter how many times I do it and/or even if I don't try to change the style (keep the same style), when I delete the biblio, refresh and then try to add/edit biblio, it adds all of the citations a second time....and a third time if I try for three....
  • We had a local report of this, but I'm not able to reproduce it with Linux/LibreOffice. What is your platform and word processor?
  • I have a mac OS sierra, word 16.12, if that is what you are asking. i am not much of a computer geek, more of a scientist...
    thank you so much for your help....
  • I assume this doesn't happen in a new document with just a couple of citations for testing, right? If so, I think running through
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents
    is probably your best bet.

You'll probably want to do step 9. earlier in the process -- I'd think that's promising here
  • I did try it with a test document that included only a few citations. it still happened. I will still try your suggestion - thanks!
  • No, if that happens in any document no need to run through debug.

Maybe we're just confused about what you're talking about. Could you give a small example here or take a screenshot, upload it somewhere and link to it here?
  • Okay, so this is a test choosing a style:
    Mercury has long been recognized (ADAMS ET AL. 1983). Nonetheless, mercury is considered by WHO to be one of the top ten materials of major public health concern(WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION 2003).

References

ADAMS, C.R., ZIEGLER, D.K. & LIN, J.T. (1983): Mercury Intoxication Simulating Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. – JAMA, 250/5: 642–643. doi: 10.1001/jama.1983.03340050054029.
    WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION (2003): Elemental mercury and inorganic mercury compounds: Human health aspects. – Geneva (World Health Organization).

Now, I want to change the style so, first I delete the References section and then I go to document prefs and choose a new style. Then, this is what it looks like:

Mercury has long been recognized (ADAMS ET AL. 1983).(Adams, Ziegler and Lin, 1983). Nonetheless, mercury is considered by WHO to be one of the top ten materials of major public health concern (WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION 2003)(World Health Organization, 2003).

References

Adams, C. R., Ziegler, D. K. and Lin, J. T. (1983) ‘Mercury Intoxication Simulating Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis’, JAMA, 250(5), pp. 642–643. doi: 10.1001/jama.1983.03340050054029.
    World Health Organization (2003) Elemental mercury and inorganic mercury compounds: Human health aspects. Concise International Chemical Assessment Document 50. Geneva: World Health Organization. Available at: http://www.who.int/ipcs/publications/cicad/en/cicad50.pdf (Accessed: 11 April 2018).

• edited April 19, 2018
    @teresafr I spoke with the colleague who hit this, and he said that the affected references had been merged. Is that the case here—did you possibly have all-caps and title-case versions of these references in your library that you merged together? If so, are the items dropped in the merge still in the trash of your library? (... and if so, don't empty trash just yet -- if this is the case, it will be interesting to explore things a bit further with the trashed items in place.)
  • I emptied the trash yesterday after reading that that could be a problem. No, the reason one is capitalized is because that is the style I chose (purposely). I chose that style so that it would be easy to see the references while we work on the document.
  • If you have a small document that shows the error, send it (pre- and post-error if possible) to support@zoteto.org. I think the developers will be curious to see what's in there.
  • thank you ~ should I give them the background info or just send the two docs?
  • a link to this thread in the e-mail is all the background they need.
  • thanks adam (my son's name) ;-) I sent the two docs two them (before and after attempting to change styles). fingers crossed. thanks!
  • @teresafr: We didn't receive the docs.
  • typo in the e-mail Frank gave above. That should have been support@zotero.org
    sorry about that
  • Sorry about that!
  • gotcha - just resent.
  • @teresafr does it happen in a new document with the small caps style that you have been using in this document? Could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero for inserting a citation with this style in a new doc?

1. In the Help menu, go to Debug Output Logging and select Enable.
    2. Insert a citation into a new Word doc.
    3. Before doing anything else, return to Help → Debug Output Logging and click Submit Output, which will disable logging and submit the output to zotero.org. A window should pop up containing a Debug ID. Click “Copy to Clipboard” and paste the Debug ID into this forum thread.
  • I will try that....but do you think it is because I have Word 16.12? I am having other issues too. For example, when I delete a reference from my doc it continues to come up in my bibliography. I do get a warning message that says 'the zotero plugin is not yet compatible with word 16.9 or later. If that is the problem, do you know when the compatibility issues will be resolved? Appreciatively, Teri
  • Actually, I have no idea how to do that....I wonder if we could set up a phone call and you could guide me through this?
  • @ all Can any one tell me?
    Which style of citation is this in Zotero?
    Barichivich et al., 2013
    Barichivich, J., Briffa, K.R., Myneni, R.B., Osborn, T.J., Melvin, T.M., Ciais, P., Piao, S., Tucker, C. Large-scale variations in the vegetation growing season and annual cycle of atmospheric CO 2 at high northern latitudes from 1950 to 2011. Glob. Change Biol. 2013, 19, 3167–3183. https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.12283
  • You can search by example here:
    http://editor.citationstyles.org/searchByExample/

@teresafr It sounds like you are running an outdated version of Zotero. Update Zotero and see if your error goes away.
  • @ all Can any one tell me?
    Which style of citation is this in Zotero?
    (Barichivich et al., 2013)
    Barichivich, J., Briffa, K.R., Myneni, R.B., Osborn, T.J., Melvin, T.M., Ciais, P., Piao, S., Tucker, C. Large-scale variations in the vegetation growing season and annual cycle of atmospheric CO 2 at high northern latitudes from 1950 to 2011. Glob. Change Biol. 2013, 19, 3167–3183. https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.12283
  • @Digambar_dahal Please create new threads for unrelated issues and avoid double posting in the future.

@teresafr this may be an issue of you having an old version of Zotero or the Word plugin having not updated automatically with a Zotero update. The bigger issue is that the document you are seeing problems with is likely partially or very corrupt. Word 16.9 introduced changes that broke Zotero integration that we have since fixed, but if you were running an old version you wouldn't have got those updates.
  • Okay, thank you ~ I just installed the latest version of Zotero. I am no longer having the problem. Yay!!! However, there is another problem that popped up during our interaction that I did not mention yet. If I delete a citation and leave nothing there or add another citation, when I edit/add Bibliography the deleted citation shows up in the bibliography. Argh.....This is in a brand new (hopefully uncorrupted) document. Also, are you saying that my original document is corrupted and I need to start a fresh document? So, how do I do that? A simple cut and paste will just bring the corruption with it, won't it?
  • If the item is still showing up in the bibliography after clicking the Zotero Refresh button, you probably didn’t delete the citation fully. Select all of the text in the document and type Alt+F9 and see if a bunch of field codes text appears where there isn’t a Zotero citation. If so, delete the whole field and refresh again.

If you are working with your document and aren’t having any issues now, there probably isn’t any corruption. If you are getting errors, try to copy the text and citations over to a new document in chunks to find where any specific broken citations might be and replace them.
  • Thanks a lot! I think everything is working correctly now. Have a great day!