Zotero sync up issues

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help- I had to wipe my Mac completely and reinstall all the software so had to delete Zotero but now just downloaded it back onto my computer- so far so good. But how do I get into my account from the Zotero icon on my desktop? I thought there would be a 'sign in' tab or a 'sync up' tab? But can't see anything. My account and references are the online Zotero, how do I go about merging the two together?

Thank you! Any help be appreciated!

Dee
  • Click the Sync icon on the right of the Zotero toolbar and Zotero will prompt you to open the Sync pane of the preferences. You can also just open the preferences from the Zotero menu.

(Note that it's generally preferable to restore your Zotero data directory from a backup, but syncing should also work as long as you were fully in sync before.)
  • Hi dstillman,

Thanks for replying!

now I realise that my Zotero desktop app wasn't properly synced with my online account- my online account had an older sync up :/

I did a time machine Mac back up before I wiped my Mac and there is a Zotero file saved on my hard drive but how do I go about restoring this information? I've had a look at the Zotero data directory link but finding it confusing...any advice?
  • Restore instructions are here: https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#restoring_your_zotero_library_from_a_backup1

If there's something specific you don't understand, let us know what it is.
  • Yes I've taken a look at that but I don't follow these steps...

move one level up in the filesystem (Cmd-up-arrow on macOS, Alt-up-arrow on Windows), and rename the directory to “Zotero-Old”.-

Next, copy the data directory from your backup to the original location-

what does it mean to 'move up one level in the filesystem' and and once I've located the back up from the hard drive- where is the original location that I should save this to?

• "move up one level"
    File systems are organized in nested folders. The location of a file/folder is typically given as a filepath with different levels separated by slashes such as
    /Users/Denise/Files/Zotero (this is a made-up example; you probably don't have this exact folder)

Moving one level up refers to moving one slash to the left, e.g. in the example above from "Zotero" to "Files". You can easily do this in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder using the keyboard shortcuts you quote. So all you need to do is click "show data directory" and then hit the keyboard shortcut for your operating system.

"original location"
    The zotero folder from the back up should be copied to the same location where the data directory (now renamed to Zotero-Old) was.
  • Hi adamsmith,

I've followed the instructions for the 'restoring Zotero library from back up' link. But when I open Zotero, it is not there.

I understand that Zotero was linked with Firefox (version 4), but when I searched my back up for Firefox, it wasn't there. Might this be a problem hence I cannot see the Zotero files?

Also another question I have- I backed up my Mac with seagate time machine, is it within a back up's ability fully capture the Zotero? I am worried that something might have gone wrong during the back up and hence I cannot 'see' the repopulated material.

I am a PhD student working in the UK, I'm not particularly versed with software, do you have any other suggestions to help?

Thanks
  • edited April 17, 2018
    when I searched my back up for Firefox, it wasn't there. Might this be a problem hence I cannot see the Zotero files?
    Don't search for anything. Just look for the file path listed on the Zotero data page. In yoru backup, your old data directory should be in either a 'zotero' directory in your Zotero profile directory or Firefox profile directory or a "Zotero" directory in your home directory, depending on which version of Zotero you were using before you wiped your computer.

If you find a folder on your backup with zotero.sqlite, tell us the exact location as well as the names, sizes, and timestamps of the other files in that directory, and we can walk you through what to do after that.
  • I backed up my Mac with seagate time machine, is it within a back up's ability fully capture the Zotero?
    For what it's worth, I would strongly recommend using Time Machine for your primary backup, even if you use another tool for secondary backups.
  • Hello,

I eventually took my Mac into the Apple Store and they helped with the instructions, it has worked! Very relieved.

Thanks for your prompt replies!