Help with Exporting Collections - Beginner

Hi, everyone!

I'm an absolute beginner with Zotero and I'm still getting to grips with the software. So far, it's been fantastic and very easy to use however there is one thing that is a bit of a stumbling block for me.

I'm a teacher and I'm using Zotero to catalogue my resources, books, games and materials that I've gathered over the years. I'm trying to find a way to use it to plan lessons as well. I've been experimenting by creating collections with class names, adding materials to the collection and then exporting them to a text file with the intention of using that in my classes.

I would like to export a collection to a custom text file with fields that I can define. For example, Class Name, Name of Activity, Process...Is this possible at all? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks very much for your time!
  • I don't think that's possible but I also don't fully understand. Where would the information in those fields come from? Can you give a mini example?
  • @Database%20Test It sounds like tagging might be a more flexible facility for organizing your material than collections. Tags can lead to nice fits of seredipity later on, by cutting across other categories.

@adamsmith Which among the export formats would include tags?
  • most: definitely Zotero RDF, bibtex, RIS, CSV
  • Thanks very much for the help everyone! Sorry about the confusion, at the minute I'm using Title for the name of the activity and Abstract for a description of the activity - these are the two most important ones for me.

And the tagging system looks great, it's already helping me a lot! I'll look into it!

Thanks again!