Saving from Newspapers.com giving an error

I'm using 5.0.44 and in the previous version I started having issues with saving to Zotero (newspapers.com translator). I am using Chrome and have the latest translator plugin. I see the newspaper article icon in my address bar, but when I click to add a clipping I get the following error.

Saving to [folder name in Zotero]
An error occurred while saving with
newspapers.com. Attempting to save using
Embedded Metadata

I then get a "Web Page" item type added to my Zotero folder. It has the right URL for the clipping but it's missing all of the metadata that I used to get from these clippings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just added a couple of hundred clippings from a newly added newspaper and I want to add them to my repository, but not if I have to enter the data in manually.

Thanks!
Andrew
  • edited April 10, 2018
    Can you provide an example URL?
  • All clippings seem to result in an error. Here's a sample one. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/19099539/1896_esterbrook_needing_to_guard/
  • I've already collected hundreds in Zotero that work perfectly. It's only in the last few months that they've started to throw this error.
  • Most likely the site changed. The newspapers.com translator was an external contribution, but I've reached out to the original author to see if they're interested in updating it.
  • That would be fantastic. The way it worked was perfect. It gathered the meta data about the newspaper article, and stored the image. I'd love to have it work again as I do a huge amount of work in newspapers.

Thanks!
  • Yes, the website changed. Thanks to the work of P. Binkley this should be fixed again. Your Zotero Connector should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Translators in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences.

Any further problems let us know & thanks for reporting.
  • Wooo Hooo! Thanks so very much! It works great, just like it used to. I can now add about 120 articles into my Zotero project. Woop! Woop!
  • I'm having the exact same problem now, over a year later. I've tried the steps listed above to update the translator, but I'm guessing this will require a new translator update?