I am thinking of buying Zotero or Endnote X8

I have been checking Zotero software features whether it caters to a group project purpose. My team would be around 5 people and we want to share account; this will facilitate us to share, copy, and merge our work.

I have some questions listed below.

1. Do you have activity log function that can keep track who did what modification?

2. If we are 5 people and we want to get the unlimited version for each person, would it be 120 USD per person per year?

3. What if some of us 6 GB and other team members have 2 GB or unlimited, in such cases, does the synchronization work? Do we all have to get the same size to be able to collaborate the work?

4. Let's say if we find resources from the database on the internet and save it to Zotero, can we highlight and comment on it? after that can we also download it from Zotero to my desktop and does the highlight and comment carryover?

5. Can Zotero transfer all the citation from Endnote to Zotero?

Could you please give me a phone number that I can contact directly? or you can call me back anytime as soon as you can.

If you have any other useful information for us, please let me know.

Thank you.

• 1. No. You can tell who added a given item in a group, but that's it
    2. It depends what you're really after. If you work on one group library together, only the person who is the owner of the library needs to buy any storage. For every person who needs unlimited storage for their personal library or for a group they own, you do need an unlimited account. You could also have one shared account (which again, would require only one paid account) but I'd advise against that.3. See 2. a group library only every counts against one person's storage so this doesn't matter.
    4. PDF annotations made with a standard annotation tool such as Acrobat, Preview, or Foxit are saved directly to PDF files and sync across devices and export out of Zotero. There's currently no way to annotate html files (other than to convert them to PDF)
    5. Yes

There's no phone support or sales for Zotero
  • 1. Do you have activity log function that can keep track who did what modification?
    Modification date and 'Added by' are easily acceessible for items in a group, but not a full transaction log.
    2. If we are 5 people and we want to get the unlimited version for each person, would it be 120 USD per person per year?
    Yes, but Zotero Lab will save you a bit.
    3. What if some of us 6 GB and other team members have 2 GB or unlimited, in such cases, does the synchronization work? Do we all have to get the same size to be able to collaborate the work?
    You don't need the same size. Group libraries count against the plan of the group owner.
    4. Let's say if we find resources from the database on the internet and save it to Zotero, can we highlight and comment on it? after that can we also download it from Zotero to my desktop and does the highlight and comment carryover?
    Yes: if you annotate PDFs in a third-party program, the modified files will be synced. The Zotfile extension adds additional capabilities.
    5. Can Zotero transfer all the citation from Endnote to Zotero?
    Yes; both programs have import/export. Neither round-trips data perfectly, but they're pretty good. They use different methods of interacting with Word documents, so it is usually better to standarize on one program for authoring.
    Could you please give me a phone number that I can contact directly? or you can call me back anytime as soon as you can.
    There is no telephone-based infrastructure, but you'll usually get quick replies here.
  • Thank you very much for the prompt replies.

4. That's great that it carryovers the highlights and notes from Zotero to a personal desktop.

3. I would like to confirm with you the shared account. Except for the group owner,
    all other group members can use the free version and the owner choose the paid account. What if the owner wants to pay for the 6GB and later on the owner wants to add another extra GB, how much would it be?

6. Can all the recourses be stored as PDF?

• 7. What do would you say about the speed?
  • 3. That's correct, yes. For increasing (or decreasing) storage, the end of the subscription just adjusts. So say you have 6months left at the 6GB/60$ level and then switch to the unlimited/120$ level, your storage now needs to be renewed in three months
    6. They can be but not automatically. You'd need to do the conversion yourself
    7. Depends on a lot of things, but for regular use, Zotero is quite fast. There may be some slowdown for very large libraries (~>30,000 items) and in very large (book length) documents, though the latter just improved https://www.zotero.org/blog/zotero-5-0-36/
  • 7. In my experience, Zotero is much faster than Endnote at various library sizes.