Sync Error report 1528307345

Hello,

I just get an error when syncing Zotero. The problem seems with an attached pdf file. I tried to save that file elsewhere and delete it from within zotero but the problem still exist. It says a "setdate" could not be done. I also tried to reindex the pdf in case that could help. but it didn't. I am runing zotero 5.0.44 on Linux elementary (ubuntu 16.4lts derivate).

Any idea what else I can do?
Thanks
Olaf
  • [JavaScript Error: "Unix error 1 during operation setDates on file /media/[…]/Zotero/storage/[…]/[…].pdf (Vorgang nicht zulässig)" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js" line: 1258}]
    So this is an "Operation not permitted" error. What filesystem is this?
  • Zotero (the program) is installed under linux on an ext4 partition. Because I have a dual-boot system (linux/win7) the DATA partition is an extra hdd formatted with ntfs. So the attached files are stored on ntfs (base dir and storage dir in the zotero settings). I did not had any problems with that so far. I use the Paragon NTFS_HFS-for-Linux 9.4 drivers to access the ntfs drive under linux.
  • You can try using touch -a and touch -c on files in the 'storage' directory to confirm that that works. You're actually getting errors for a lot of different files, though, even if this is the only file you're getting the setDates error for.

Best I can suggest is to 1) make sure permissions are set correctly, including in any mount setting for the NTFS partition or 2) try a different NTFS driver.
  • (As for deleting the attachment within Zotero, make sure you also empty the trash, but again, it's possible that file syncing will just fail generally for you in the current state.)
  • edited April 10, 2018
    I tried touch -a on the file "Roy_2018_Worn Grooves.pdf" that is named in the error message and got two new files "Roy_2018_Worn" and "Grooves.pdf". When I tried to find the file with the zotero context-menu "show file" I got an error message "could not find folder "Roy_2018_Worn0Grooves.pdf" i.e. zotero seems to expect an folder not an file and fills the blank with an zero. When I tried to rename the file from within zotero I got a message that say operation not allowed.
    I than renamed the pdf file on the filesystem level into "Roy_2018_Worn-Grooves.pdf" which worked fine. After that when tying to open the file in zotero I got a message that the file might be deleted or dislocated and got the option to look for it. I found it and re-associated the renamed file with the dataset. After that in Zotero the name still was written with blank but this time I could rename it in Zotero as well.
    That done still the sync function throws an error. I tried again to use "touch -ac Roy_2018_Worn-Grooves.pdf". This time touch recognized the existing file but states, that the operation is NOT allowed. I checked the file and folders permissions, they are all "777" so reading/writing should not be a problem.
    I have Zotfile Extension installed. Maybe Zotfile is involved in the error?!
    Any further ideas?
  • edited April 10, 2018
    Good news. I tried again to delete the "Roy_2018_Worn-Grooves" file within zotero and this time I also emptied trash after that. I got an error message anyway (see 2040011286) on syncing. But after that I tried again syncing and this time it seems to work as expected. I attached the pdf file new to the zotero object and syncing still seems working fine.
  • PD: There still is the small issue on pdf names with blanks described in my earlier post. The file I re-attached still hat a blank in his name. When looking for the file it is stored in from the zotero context menue I got the same error as before i.e. zotero looks for a folder not a file and fills the blank with an zero. But this time I could rename the pdf from within zotero and after that the same menue-entry shows correctly the folder with the pdf-file in it.
  • I tried touch -a on the file "Roy_2018_Worn Grooves.pdf" that is named in the error message and got two new files "Roy_2018_Worn" and "Grooves.pdf".
    (You need to put quotes around filenames with spaces or escape the spaces with backslashes.)
    That done still the sync function throws an error. I tried again to use "touch -ac Roy_2018_Worn-Grooves.pdf". This time touch recognized the existing file but states, that the operation is NOT allowed. I checked the file and folders permissions, they are all "777" so reading/writing should not be a problem.
    Right, so just to be clear, this indicates a problem with the filesystem, completely separate from Zotero. Weird things like this are not uncommon on non-native filesystems.
    I got an error message "could not find folder "Roy_2018_Worn0Grooves.pdf" i.e. zotero seems to expect an folder not an file and fills the blank with an zero.
    Can you take a screenshot of what you're seeing, upload it somewhere, and provide a link here? "could not find folder" is not a message in Zotero.