Deleting collections and recommendations for using on multiple computers

Hello again

I've been trying Zotero out with a view to using it for a book research project. I've previously used Endnote, but so far I like the tagging and the Safari connector better with Zotero. I've moved the zotero files and attachments around, including having them in Dropbox, which I've noted you strongly advise against. Now I want to start again and set it up properly, so I've deleted Zotero and the practice files on my computer. Questions:
-How do I delete the collections on my Zotero site library?
- I want to be able to work on and access the library, including pdf attachments, on 3 different iMacs and a laptop. So how best to do that with the different setting options in Zotero? Do I have to manually upload every pdf?

Thanks

Susan
  • edited April 10, 2018
    Managing collections is easiest to do in the Zotero application rather than in the web interface. So for that question and the next, here are a few steps you might want to follow:

1. First step would be to install Zotero on all the computers you want to use.

2. Then set up syncing so that all of them will be synchronizing any changes or additions with the server. All this involves is telling your local Zotero applications which Zotero account they should be syncing to.

3. If you want to have access to all PDF attachments on all systems, you want to additionally set up file syncing — either using Zotero's own file storage (free up to ~300Mb, paid for more), or using a webdav server.

With data and file syncing enabled, you don't have to manually upload anything: anything you change or add locally will be automatically uploaded to the server. The local Zotero applications on your computers will automatically keep in sync with the server, ensuring you have all your files anywhere.

Hope this helps!