[user interface] formatting options consume too much space when editing notes

Hey there,

I often use Zotero in non-fullscreen mode on my latop wich runs on a resolution of 1280x800. Under these conditions screen real-estate is limited.
I find that the extensive formatting options which become visible when I write a note on an item take up too much space on the screen. I don't think you need all these formatting options anyway, if you just want to write a short note on something (and I believe that's what most people use this function for)

I suggest to either remove the formatting options completely or make it possible to disable them in the settings.

I uploaded a screenshot demonstrating how little space is left for actually writing my note when there are two rows of formatting options: http://malte.koester.googlepages.com/zoteroscreen.jpg

I hope you will work on this in future versions.
Otherwise Zotero really rocks! You're doing great work!
malte
  • I second your opinion on this. My usual screen setup doesn't allow any space to type. An option to disable the tool bar would be nice. I really don't type note very often though. I prefer to annotate the file attachments.

liblamb
  • I agree that you probably don't have enough space to work with, as is. I'm not sure any plans are in the works to hide the toolbar. The idea of allowing Zotero to be used in a sidebar has been kicked around for a while, though, and may just happen.

In the interim, I recommend opening your notes in their own window. You can either click on the button in the right column, or double click the item in the center column.