new profile isn't empty

Hi, just tried creating a new profile and rather than being blank, it's got all the details from my default profile. Which can't be right.
I'm starting the profile editor by

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\zotero.exe" -P

I create a profile with a different name, and then it starts, installs the word processor plugins, and then shows all my files from my default profile

Windows 10, Zotero 5.0.42

Am I doing something wrong, or is something borked in profile creation?
  • Oh and if I try and set up syncing, then I get a warning that the database was last used as my default profile and if I continue then all that data will be removed. Obviously this is defeating the purpose of profiles.
  • OK, so the problem is that it isn't creating a new storage directory, or offering me the choice to create one, when I create a new profile.
  • edited April 1, 2018
    Right, reread the instructions and got it working fine now, thanks.
    In case it's not already obvious: I wasn't expecting a new profile to use an old profile's folder. Maybe an option when creating a new profile to create a new storage folder, mine's un-originally called 'Zotero.profile-name' ? Or a message to say that it's expected behaviour to use the default storage folder and you have to create a new one, then point Zotero to that new folder?

I think what threw me, is half memories from when Zotero files were stored in Firefox profiles, so that a new Firefox profile would automatically have a new Zotero storage folder & database.
  • I think what threw me, is half memories from when Zotero files were stored in Firefox profiles, so that a new Firefox profile would automatically have a new Zotero storage folder & database.
    Right — most people doing this now will just be following these instructions. But I agree that this could be easier, so in the latest beta I've changed it to automatically create a directory named after the profile ("Work" → "~/Zotero Work") and set that as a custom data directory if there's already a profile pointing to the default location.
  • Hello,

Sorry for writing in such an old thread. I have the same problem than Jon had. I had only on profile, so I decided to create a new profile.

I followed all the instructions at:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/multiple_profiles

I have checked that the new profile folder is created, and I have checked out its new location in the Windows File Manager.

But when I open it from Zotero Profile Manager, using

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\zotero.exe" -P

and choosing the new profile name... the info that appears is from the old profile.

I also use Win 10, and Zotero 5.0.89.

Might there be any folder permissions problem? I have tried to create the folder:

a) Into the original Zotero profiles folder
    b) Into a new folder in a different location

But none of these two options work.

Thanks in advance.
  • This shouldn't be necessary, but you can just manually set a new data directory in the new profile in the preferences under Advanced --> Files and Folders
  • Yes, it worked!! Thank you very much, and sorry for the delay to answer.
  • I set up a new profile on my computer (Windows) and it seemed to create a new user folder in the setup process, but when I opened Zotero desktop, I had a similar issue from the above users, in that my old default (work account) is still displayed. The preference settings for the data directory seem to point to the default zotero program folder and not the new user profile folder that was created upon setup. However, the new profile folder cannot be found in the zotero program files (the set up menu placed the new user folder in some other zotero appdata file subfolder that doesn't show in the Zotero preferences data directory options and is on a completely different file path on my computer). I'm not quite sure how to set up a "new data directory" without impacting my default work account or ensuring the appropriate data files are there for the new profile to work properly. Any clearer defined steps for setting up another data directory for a new profile? I'm not tech savvy so step-by-step would help a lot!
  • @santj139: This is documented on Multiple Profiles. This is an advanced configuration, though, so if you're having trouble with the steps, we don't recommend you do this.