bibliography - apostrophes, etc lost

I have the most recent zotero, word 2106 for mac.
I am using chicago notes style for the footnotes.
I created a bibliography and all my apostrophes, (Jordan's) and internal quotations were lost. How do i change this setting to be title as is? thanks
  • Does this also happen in an new paper with just some sample footnotes with quotations?
  • The one i noticed first is a journal article -- and in both footnote AND biblio reference.
  • Sorry, that's not what I meant. I'm trying to figure out if this is a general problem with Zotero or a problem with a specific document you're trying to format. So the question is whether you can get this to happen in a new document, too, or if it happens only in one specific document.
  • ok, that's weird. i just tried in a different document and it worked ok. what is going on here?
  • Try running through this:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents

If you find one particular citation that triggers this, we'd be very interested.
  • I am up to the help one, still did not fix. Here is the error report. i am unable to insert citation while report is open.

report ID: 73718260

[JavaScript Error: "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1708.) @[setTextRaw:field.m:436]" {file: "file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js" line: 213}]

[JavaScript Error: "The connection to wss://stream.zotero.org/ has terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/streamer.js" line: 155}]

[JavaScript Error: "WebSocket connection closed: 1006 "]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'ISSN' for type 2 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'DOI' for type 2 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'reportType' for type 2 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'letterType' for type 2 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'manuscriptType' for type 2 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'mapType' for type 2 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'thesisType' for type 2 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'websiteType' for type 2 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'presentationType' for type 2 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'postType' for type 2 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'audioFileType' for type 2 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding unknown JSON field 'accepted' for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[setCode:field.m:667]" {file: "file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js" line: 213}]

[JavaScript Error: "The connection to wss://stream.zotero.org/ has terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/streamer.js" line: 155}]

[JavaScript Error: "WebSocket connection closed: 1006 "]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'publisher' for type 4 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Document modified during update @[setCode:field.m:660]" {file: "file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js" line: 213}]

[JavaScript Error: "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1708.) @[setTextRaw:field.m:436]" {file: "file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js" line: 213}]

[JavaScript Error: "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[cleanup:document.m:931]" {file: "file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js" line: 213}]

version => 5.0.41, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.12, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.41, extensions => Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.41, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.11.SA.5.0.41, extension), Shockwave Flash (29.0.0.113, plugin)
  • does not look like a new one appeared, but teh citation in this document -- and it is 1st copied to another document, then duplicated as the instructions said - citation is still flawed.
  • edited March 31, 2018
    I am not entirely sure what the problem is that you are seeing. Are you manually editing the citation text in the document to add apostrophes?
  • No apostraphes in the citation, or internal quotes - so an article entitled:
    Jordan's 'Political Development' Strategy,
    becomes:
    Jordans Political Development Strategy.

I have gone through and manually changed it, but to do that for the entire manuscript (not just this article) will be a lot. Plus, when i add a citation it often says Zotero encountered a problem updating the citations in this document -- then I don't know what it had a problem with and have to search for it, like if it just deleted a citation (which it did once), i noticed where the footnote should have been and exited and tried again. Worried I will not always figure it out and it takes time from writing flow.... Clearly something is wrong in this document, but cutting and pasting to another has not helped.
  • Yes, you'll want to continue through step 8/9 in the document debugging steps