"An error occurred while saving this item"

I am repeatedly getting this error when trying to save anything to Zotero.

I am using Zotero connector for Firefox, version 5.0.35 (firefox itself is version 59.0.1).
I am using Zotero standalone version 5.0.38.

Occurs on any page I try to save, e.g.
http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/49/4/1015
and
https://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues

I click on the "save to zotero" button and get one of a few errors:
"An error occurred while saving this item. See Troubleshooting Translator Issues for more information."
"An error occurred while saving this item. Try again, and if the issue persists see Getting Help for more information."
"Eligibility for Endovascular Trial Enrollment in the 6- to 24-Hour Time Window: Analysis of a Single Comprehensive Stroke Center
An error occurred while saving with HighWire 2.0. Attempting to save using Embedded Metadata.
Eligibility for Endovascular Trial Enrollment in the 6- to 24-Hour Time Window: Analysis of a Single Comprehensive Stroke Center
An error occurred while saving with Embedded Metadata. Attempting to save using DOI."

I have been able to download a PDF to my desktop and pull that into Zotero standalone to create a new item. However, I am not able to save any web-based items to my Zotero collection.

I have updated Zotero connector and Zotero standalone.
I have reset my translators in both.
I have submitted through Zotero connector logging.

Debug ID is D1952688892.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • You've run through all the troubleshooting steps, especially checking on your privacy setting & disabling other add-ons?

Also, update Zotero to 5.0.41
  • edited March 29, 2018
    First-Party Isolation is enabled
    We haven't looked into it, but someone else reported that the Zotero Connector doesn't work with the First-Party Isolation extension (or the underlying Firefox pref, presumably) enabled.
  • edited March 29, 2018
    Yes, with the first-party isolation pref enabled, saving in fact fails with that error:

"First-Party Isolation is enabled, but the required 'firstPartyDomain' attribute was not set."

We'll look into whether we can work around this in the connector code.
  • I've pushed a new beta version of the Firefox connector that fixes metadata saving with FPI enabled. Due to what appears to be a bug in Firefox (or at least a documentation error), cookies won't be used when saving attachments, meaning that gated PDFs will fail to save unless you disable FPI.
  • Thanks, dstillman. The beta version of the connector works for me.
  • Thanks @dstillman. The beta connector cleared things up for me, as well.

I don't have the First Party Isolation add-on, but I do use the new Facebook-Container add-on. I guess the underlying architecture must be very similar.
  • The FPI add-on mostly just toggles the pref, so it's possible for the pref to be enabled without it. You can check privacy.firstparty.isolate in about:config. The Facebook Container shouldn't make a difference (except perhaps if you're actually trying to use the connector on Facebook) — I have it installed and can save with the current release version of the connector.
  • Using FF 59.0.2 (64-Bit; Windows), Zotero Connector 5.0.36beta4 and Zotero 5.0.43 with FPI enabled via about:config
    and still receiving the error. Colleagues are reproducing this with the same combination of versions
  • edited April 4, 2018
    @KlausR: Sorry about that — brief regression on the fix. Try again in 5.0.36beta5.
  • edited April 4, 2018
    With 5.0.36beta5 it seems to be working. All fine for now. Thanks a lot
This discussion has been closed.