Slowness on High Sierra

This discussion was created from comments split from: very slow loading of Zotero 5.
  • edited March 24, 2018
    Hi, I am also experiencing that slowness on High Sierra with Zotero.
    It might well have multiple causes - I was just browsing about this and found lots of people have decreased graphics performance after sleep of High Sierra (as I have, too).
    But other symptoms are:
    * Create an item from Webpage (with Snapshot) from Chrome or Firefox: Snapshot fails and after this, Zotero is constantly eating about 102% of CPU as displayed in Activity monitor.
    * press Command+V to paste something and get a spinning beach-ball for about 2 to 5 seconds on Zotero before the text finally is in the field.
    * Press Command+C to experience the same waiting time and beach-ball.
    'Debug ID D294170838'
    Interestingly the same spinning beach-ball and waiting time happened when I pressed Command+C after Selecting this text in the Debug Output window.
    When the App is so slow, its really hard to use it ... :-)

Maybe this has to do with some Firefox-ish things inside of Zotero? I am thinking this because Firefox also got extremely slow to use. Most of the slowness happens when working with text, using the clipboard or moving the cursor.
    Performance was not a problem on this Macbook until I made a clean install of High Sierra. Before that Chrome was slower than the new Firefox.
    Maybe that is the biggest problem!? :-)
    For reference: Macbook 2012, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
  • Create an item from Webpage (with Snapshot) from Chrome or Firefox: Snapshot fails and after this, Zotero is constantly eating about 102% of CPU as displayed in Activity monitor.
    Does that happen for all pages, or a specific page? If the latter, can you provide a URL?
    Maybe this has to do with some Firefox-ish things inside of Zotero? I am thinking this because Firefox also got extremely slow to use. Most of the slowness happens when working with text, using the clipboard or moving the cursor.
    This would be a different problem, and there's only been one other report of this. See my recommendations in that thread and post there with any additional info. (If the same things happens in Firefox, that would be good to know.)
  • Hi, thanks for reading :-)
    For the Snapshot of the web page, it turns out, it was only this site. I didn't do this often the weeks before so I only now found out that its working great with most other sites.
    http://www.euronews.com/2016/01/25/cradle-to-cradle-powering-europe-s-circular-economy

As for the spinning beach ball - should I post to this thread or here?

Greetings