Metadata problem

I'm now (post 5.0.37) finding that the metadata Zotero imports includes unwanted tags which are added to my own.

I have Preferences>General>Automatically retrieve ... selected and Automatically tag items ... unselected.

It doesn't pull in a lot but it does some, including for instance the name of one of the books I've just added to Zotero.
  • How are you importing items? The automatic tags preference only applies when importing items using the Zotero Connector in your browser. If you add the item, e.g., by downloading a RIS or BibTeX file and importing it, Zotero has no way of knowing whether those tags are automatic or manually created, so it imports them as regular tags. In general, it is always best to import items using the Save to Zotero button in your browser from the journal webpage.
  • Workflow - I look at a pdf, then if I want it I save it to my Temp file, then drop a few at a time into Zotero. Then I go through adding tags.

'it imports them as regular tags' - so can't I stop Zotero importing tags now? It never used to.
  • 'it imports them as regular tags' applied to importing from RIS files, etc., not retrieving metadata for PDFs. The system for that recently changed, and this is likely a bug.

Can you post a link to a PDF where this happened?

In general, you will still get the best metadata for items by using the Save to Zotero button from the article page on the journal website, rather than downloading the PDF (that workflow is also much faster).
  • Look at

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwLsnBgqo6b0emx0Rk5BdjhqaTg

On the third page of the pdf below the ISBN it says

1. Slavery and the church—History. 2. Church and social problems—History

I have automatic tags 'Slavery and the church', 'History', 'Church and social problems'

Easy enough to spot if they're all capitalised but a bind to remove each time. Is there a log I can get for you?
  • BTW -

version => 5.0.37, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.37, extensions => Zutilo Utility for Zotero (2.0.4, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.11.SA.5.0.37, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.8.SA.5.0.37, extension), Shockwave Flash (29.0.0.113, plugin)
  • I've fixed this for the next version. It only happens for PDFs recognized by ISBN.