missing the obvious?

Hello,

I've installed Zotero in my MacBook Pro along with the suggested "Save to Zotero" Safari browser extension.
What I downloaded Zotero for was to copy a group of text off of any webpage and save it ALONG with its URL.

Citing it.

I can't succeed at that.

Why?
  • "I can't succeed at that" doesn't give us much to go by. What are you trying exactly, what do you expect, what's not working?
  • Best for zep to speak for himself, of course, but I can see two different things here, the first that I mean to file a report on myself :-

1. There used to be a 'Save to Zotero' service that would pop up if you right-clicked a Safari web page. At some point this got dropped. I rather rather like it back! It let users work around some issues, for example it was a work-around for when Zotero would present a list of citations from the page you could select to file into Zotero, but not offer to file the source page itself. (It seems to me that there's a deeper issue here: it would seem more obvious that Zotero ought to always offer to file the web page itself.)

2. Some reference tools, e.g. Evernote, allow you to select text from a web page, and file that. It seems to me that in addition to a 'Save to Zotero' service, if text is selected on the current page, a 'Save selected text as citation to Zotero' service could be offered that would be useful for some. It'd a new feature, but one I think some could put to good use.
  • edited March 21, 2018
    There used to be a 'Save to Zotero' service that would pop up if you right-clicked a Safari web page.
    Click and hold on the "Save to Zotero" button for other options. (It's a right-click on the button in Chrome and Firefox, but Safari requires clicking and holding.)
    Some reference tools, e.g. Evernote, allow you to select text from a web page, and file that.
    Saving selected text to a note was a feature in Zotero for Firefox, and we're hoping to restore it in a future Zotero Connector update.
  • "Click and hold on the "Save to Zotero" button for other options."

Ah, thanks. These hidden features…! :-)

"Saving selected text to a note was a feature in Zotero for Firefox, and we're hoping to restore it in a future Zotero Connector update."

Sounds great, good luck with it!

It should be useful for those of us working from online sources, e.g. citing from newspaper articles, etc.

FWIW, I'm toying with getting the bulk of my browser use over to Vivaldi (or something else)—despite it's slow start-up time, it seems to be kinder on resources when faced with many tabs. Vivaldi seems happy with Firefox add-ons, so hopefully that'll mean I get the Firefox features for Zotero, too :-)

Thanks for the quick reply.
  • Try Opera if you want to change. Vivaldi is great in many respects but the Zotero add-on only works partly in Vivaldi – i.e. precisely the other "Save-to"-options upon right-click Dan described above don't work. (Have reported to the Vivaldi devs). These options work well if you install Zotero's Chrome plugin in Opera.