Zotero inserts full first name of author

I refer to three authors with the same last name, and most of the time Zotero handles it correctly and inserts e.g. R. Ellis, 2009 - but it has suddenly started writing the full first name of this one author: Rod Ellis, 2009.

the authors name is in the same format for all the references to him in Zotero. Does anyone have an idea as to what has gone wrong and how I might rectify it?
  • Which citation style? And what are the three Ellis citations exactly as they appear in the text?

Can you replicate this in a new document with just those citations?
  • No, I canNOT replicate it - and since I have 350 pages (doctoral thesis!), I am not into experimenting too much. :-)

From the list below you can see that it also behaves weird in the bibliography.... I cannot figure it out!

Ellis, C. (2011). The Benefits of using GradeMark [Vimeo video]. Retrieved from http://www.plagiarismadvice.org/resources/institutional-approaches/item/ellis-grademark
    Ellis, E. M. (2006). Language Learning Experience as a Contributor to ESOL Teacher Cognition. TESL-EJ, 10(1), n1.
    Ellis, N. C. (2007). The weak interface, consciousness, and form-focused instruction: mind the doors. In S. S. Fotos & H. Nassaji (Eds.), Form-focused instruction and teacher education: Studies in honour of Rod Ellis (pp. 17–33). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
    Ellis, R. (2008). A typology of written corrective feedback types. ELT Journal, 63(2), 97–107. https://doi.org/10.1093/elt/ccn023
    Ellis, Rod. (2001). Introduction: Investigating form-focused instruction. Language Learning, 51(s1), 1–46.
    Ellis, Rod. (2002). The place of grammar instruction in the second/foreign language curriculum. In New perspectives on grammar teaching in second language classrooms (pp. 17–34).
    Ellis, Rod. (2008a). A typology of written corrective feedback types. ELT Journal, 63(2), 97–107. https://doi.org/10.1093/elt/ccn023
    Ellis, Rod. (2008b). Explicit Form-Focused Instruction and Second Language Acquisition. In B. Spolski & F. Hult (Eds.), The Handbook of Educational Linguistics (pp. 437–455). Wiley Online Library.
    Ellis, Rod. (2009). Corrective feedback and teacher development. L2 Journal, 1(1). Retrieved from http://escholarship.org/uc/item/2504d6w3.pdf
    Ellis, Rod. (2010). Cognitive, social, and psychological dimensions of corrective feedback. In R. Batstone (Ed.), Sociocognitive perspectives on language use and language learning (pp. 151–165). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
    Ellis, Rod, Loewen, S., & Erlam, R. (2006). Implicit and explicit corrective feedback and the acquisition of L2 grammar. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 28(2), 339–368.
    Ellis, Rod, Sheen, Y., Murakami, M., & Takashima, H. (2008). The effects of focused and unfocused written corrective feedback in an English as a foreign language context. System, 36(3), 353–371.
  • Go over all citations of Ellis, R. (2008) and Ellis, Rod. (2008a), edit them, remove that item and re-add it from your library (not from items already cited in text, if you use the quick-cite dialog).
  • This looks like two different versions of the Ellis 2008 paper in the article.

First, double-check that you have only one of them in your Zotero library. If there are two, crucially, do _not_ delete the duplicate but instead select both, right-click --> Merge duplicates.

If there is no duplicate entry in Zotero, the problem is likely an orphaned citation in the document. Find all references to R. Ellis 2008 in the document and re-insert the citation. As you re-insert it, make sure you select it from under "My Library" and not under "Cited" in the Word add-on.
  • edited March 20, 2018
    @hannewacher before you do, could you find those citations in text and copy them out (with some surrounding text) into a new document and send that to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?

EDIT: Also see @adamsmith's response above and try merging duplicates first.
  • Thank you very much for your help!